Toxic Masculinity: Dude, where are my emotions?

I love how he takes the criticism he gets and uses it to improve his explanation.

8 Likes

Yeah, he’s really great like that. Very thoughtful about the topics he tackles.

8 Likes

I think there is a distinction between men who are in the closet and men who are insecure about their own masculinity. The latter could include men who are heterosexual but are secretly worried they may not have what it takes to do “masculine” things like fix a car or excel in sports or please a woman in bed.

8 Likes

“They’re not teaching you to be a man, they’re teaching you to be a woman in the 1800’s!”

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

16 Likes

It’s ‘the My Fair Lady’ Syndrome!

14 Likes

“They’re giving you a back story to every Disney Princess”

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF

16 Likes
13 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

Durow has long pursued extracurricular activities, from setting up youth groups for children with disabilities, to opening a residential home for cross-generational care for disabled people, to jewellery making. He has always been a thinker. When lockdown hit, his rethinking intensified.

“I spent a lot of time reading, thinking through what my attitudes had been and what I wanted them to be,” he says. He read Elizabeth Strout, Sarah Waters and Rebecca Solnit’s essay Men Explain Things to Me. Sometimes, he would wake at 3am, get up and write poems or play the guitar, with the words he had read churning in his head: “How I was guilty of mansplaining, assuming that women didn’t know and that it was my role to put them right.”

16 Likes

Thoughts on redefining masculinity:

7 Likes
6 Likes

24 Likes

Gawd, these poor men! To think that hanging out with your partner is a sign of inferiority.
I can’t spare much pity for the fully grown variety, but I really feel for the poor kids being brought up with these twisted values.
Also, the “nibbles on tapas” thing is so oddly reminiscent of Dr. Oz’s whole “crudite” video it is odd that he wasn’t called out for being a “beta.” :roll_eyes:

18 Likes

Nibble nibble nibble!

Jim Carrey Conan GIF by Team Coco

If only they’d get in touch with their inner nibble.

9 Likes

guinea pig GIF

17 Likes

“With their wives”……yeah, because they’re decent human beings so they’re able to be in a committed relationship with a real woman.

16 Likes

… nobody had to call it out, it was just obvious

especially when Fetterman was in the same room

9 Likes

It would certainly help with adult obesity and heart disease, as well as possibly being more attractive to the wives. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes