TPP will ban rules that require source-code disclosure

It is so last millennium.

“It carves out “critical infrastructure” (power plants), but leaves intact cars, HVAC, medical devices, and even databases used to store sensitive public information”

It only applies to mass-market software or to products that contain mass-market software.

What a great way to prepare for autonomous vehicles on the road!

1 Like

If only you were on of the people voting on it.

finally I can stop maintaining some level of quality!

1 Like

Source availability in voting machines is a red herring.

If I’m the manufacturer trying to fix an election a big source dump is the first thing I’m giving you.

Just don’t expect that code to be on the machine come election time.

That’s my what my gut says. I suspect the NSA isn’t too worried however, they’ve got the best crackers and there’s not a lot of US infrastructure running software written in China anyway.

I do share people’s uneasiness about the GPL, does a software license really count as a “commercially negotiated contract”? Of course I can’t imagine the treaty would actually try to kill open source.

Seriously. Other countries count their votes by hand. If every other country on earth can do it, so can we.

1 Like

Some of the German Bundesländer use panachage and cumulative voting for local elections - and voting is done with a pen on a sheet of paper.

Yes, the manual counting can take some time (The Horror! It’s not possible to declare a winner within 10 minutes of poll closing!) but it work’s fine and is transparent - imho for a democray much more important than faster results.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.