Traditional stonecutting method

Stonecutters are an ancient and proud people.

1 Like

Of course, if it gets jammed in the hole/breaks off in the hole, all your problems are over.

1 Like

Another good video along these lines

1 Like

It was right there in the video, with the second split. He chisels the starter holes by hand, then puts the grass in to keep the bits in place.

What’s skeeving me out are his heavy sledgehammer swings— inches away from his sandal-clad feet.

2 Likes

I was wondering whether the wooden wedges method was what he used when I clicked on the story.

1 Like

Beat me to it! Anyhow another so called ancient mystery exposed. I’m not saying it was lasers but it was lasers wielded by aliens.

1 Like

Yes, was thinking the same thing… when working makes an instrument!

When chopping with a knife (not slicing) I would love to try and keep in time with the music in the kitchen.

Also, putting a blade into a round of Parmesan cheese and breaking it according to it’s natural inclination was always a wonderful feeling!

3 Likes

giphy

2 Likes

Yes, isn’t that beautiful. Have been to this shop a few times in the past when I was living in Melbourne!

1 Like

In a place called Guédelon, near Paris a group of people are building a 13 century castle in the traditional manner as a practical archaeology study, which includes cutting and shaping all the stone by hand. (The castle is built next to a quarry, as it would have been back in the day).

They use iron tools, which are created and maintained by the on site blacksmith.

(They’re expecting to be finished in just a couple of years)

2 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.