Watch: A boulder split in half

Originally published at: Watch: A boulder split in half | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’ve watched several videos of people doing traditional stone work, and it boggles my mind they are mostly all in sandals swinging heavy hammers around.

7 Likes

7 Likes

What is that from?

Demon Slayer…

3 Likes

But can he split a mountain in half?

6 Likes

Very cool!
Is it my somewhat weird imagination, or does that tunnel that opens up at the very end remind you of something else?

I don’t think it’s the hammers they’re primarily worried about. :grin: And as for the big worry…well, it wouldn’t matter if they wore full-body chainmail armor. As a side note, if you ever happen to visit the Garden of Eden, part of the pre-tour video covers traditional limestone splitting.

Here’s a video that gives a closer look at the tools (“feathers and irons”) used.

3 Likes

I HAVE been there! I don’t recall limestone splitting, but I do remember the mummy!

As for hammers and shoes - I have seen some where they are swinging down while they are on top of the stone, some times with people alternating strikes. So a bad miss and you smash your toes… But I guess they are pros, and the ones that didn’t shake out are somewhere else doing another job with a limp.

1 Like

weirding

Hold my beer.

5 Likes

Surely?

5 Likes

5 Likes

More likely.

5 Likes

The thing that throws me in some of the videos are the giant flexible handled sledge hammers I see in the Chinese ones. Possibly less hand shock, but I’d never be able to hit anything with one…

2 Likes

Ledge?

1 Like

Exactly my reaction. I didn’t make the image, and not sure of its origins. Obviously he’s singing “edge.” Considered shopping out the “l” of ledge, but decided to leave it

1 Like

Depends if you’re reading Dune or Doon.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.