Tragically, a meager 5% of Northern California's lush kelp forests survive

Originally published at: Tragically, a meager 5% of Northern California's lush kelp forests survive | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I remember watching a documentary recently that showed getting sea otter back made a big difference, and that in some areas divers were going down to smash open the urchins in large number and that was also increasing the kelp coverage.

1 Like

Abalone populations were returning after mass over fishing,

@jlw Might have had the same experience as I did. When I first moved to Southern California back in the you could snorkel for abalone about 100 yards offshore. Big fat ones, too. And Yellowfin Tun could be caught using surf poles form the shore. I’, glad to see the abalone are returning.

California’s kelp forests are as impressive as our redwoods. Diving in a kelp forest is enchanting

Redwoods are impressive to everyone. Diving is an expensive pursuit.

1 Like

Sadly that’s about the same as the surviving portion of California’s old growth redwood trees.

I guess if there’s a silver lining here it’s that the kelp forests are at least theoretically capable of recovering in a shorter time span since they don’t take thousands of years to reach maturity.

3 Likes

The article says those solutions are not working.

1 Like

First, I’m not sure exactly what point you’re trying to make. Is it really that relevant to the discussion that not everyone can personally visit the kelp forests?

Second, it may be far more affordable to visit a kelp forest than you think. There are places in California where you can rent a wetsuit for $8/day, plus another $15 for mask and fins (which also aren’t that expensive to buy your own). You don’t necessarily need a full scuba setup to enjoy the kelp forest. Heck, that My Octopus Teacher guy didn’t even use a wetsuit and he filmed a whole documentary in a kelp forest.

8 Likes

Caveat: this article is specifically about the Bull Kelp. Apparently the better known Giant Kelp forests near Monterey are faring better, although I understand the sea urchin hordes are generally devastating much of the west coast. Anecdotally, it’s been years since I spotted a sea-star while tide-pooling at Muir Beach.

3 Likes

Here’s a story about similar kelp declines in Tasmania https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-02-27/tasmania-giant-kelp-forests-disappearing-global-ocean-warming/11209188

1 Like

Fun fact: giant kelp can grow up to 2 feet per day.

Also, kelp is an algae.

3 Likes

Ironically, the decline of hard corals throughout the Caribbean is thought to be partly linked to a massive die off in 1982-3 of another urchin species, the long-spined black sea urchin.

1 Like

They have feelings too.

2 Likes

Welp, this is pretty fucking dire, considering how important the kelp itself is as habitat. I guess eating a lot more uni isn’t going to help, either…

3 Likes

Kelp fell in a forest. Nobody heard.

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.