Trailer for new Moomins TV show

I doubt it was the reason I wasn’t aware. I was a voracious reader as a kid, and was pretty aware of child-oriented material from many countries. Except this one, evidently.

3 Likes

Go find the books, they’re genuinely great. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Moomin comic strip are great too and some of them are available in english. They get really weird when Lars took over. Like when they try to buy cannabis and end up buying LBJ pills and sit on beach for a week (Moomin in Torrelorca 1967).

1 Like

Oh yes, those comic strips are hilarious. Very different from the books, but also well worth reading.

1 Like

Yea! Please read the books. They are great in a melancholy kind of way, spooky and kind.

4 Likes

Brilliant illustrations:

1 Like

I don’t like it. There, I said it. I’m an old curmudgeon and I don’t like this new-fangled CGI nonsense. For me moomins look like this:

3 Likes

Indeed, that is what set them apart from all the other books of my childhood some half century back.

They had a delightful quiet sort of melancholy that I appreciated, even if I was a decade from being able to even articulate. I blame my Finnish heritage.

I’m not certain its even possible to preserve that quality in an animated series, although I’m certain it has many other wonderful points.

1 Like

5 Likes

My childhood Moominbook collection happened to not contain “Comet in Moominland” or “Moominpappa’s Memoirs” (the latter now one of my favorite entries in the series). It was kind of jarring to discover that the characters all had back stories and introductions, before they had just seemed like necessary parts of the landscape.

Also, still weirded out that Little My is older than Snufkin.

2 Likes

They form the religious canon of Swedes I know, and read quite well for adults, with the possible exception of “Comet in Moominland”. As they progress they age, whimsy is increasingly replaced with psychology, but they are always otherworldly and timeless.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.