Trailer for new Moomins TV show

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/01/trailer-for-new-moomins-tv-sho.html

6 Likes

Lovely, just lovely.

4 Likes

CG animation has come far enough, and is slick enough to present characters and setting that feel organic and intentional in style and mood that I am okay with this not being hand-drawn. I’m okay. no really guys, I’m fine, it’s fine. I mean, in all honesty my greatest fear was some lazily-puppeted vector-based 2D full of motion easing, so really I was relieved.

10 Likes

It’s like Ratatouille to me: it’s jarring that the characters don’t sound Finnish or Swedish. I suppose that’s a good sign.

3 Likes

Is anyone else getting a Thomas Kinkade vibe from the animation style.

2 Likes

On the one hand FUCKING YAY!!!

One the other hand, those voices sound nothing like the ones in my head over the past four decades.

7 Likes

60 years is a long time.

6 Likes

This is the haunting adaption from my childhood

Enjoy!

8 Likes
1 Like

All of my love for posting Augsburger Puppenkiste!
So many childhood memories!

2 Likes

Counterpoint: No. Haway, @beschizza, you are of an age and origin to know better:

2 Likes

I think it looks absolutely dreadful. The 3D CGI has entirely lost the charm of the original 2D hand drawn images.

Great voice cast, though.

1 Like

I can’t wait to see it! :slight_smile:

When I was very young (let’s say 3 for the sake of argument) I was ill one day and went to bed after having watched an episode of the original Moonins series on the BBC. The nightmares I had in my feverish state were pretty horrific. Hopefully this new series will go some way to exorcising my irrational fear of the Moomins that has persisted ever since.

3 Likes

The stopmotion Moomin is part and parcel of my deepest inner self, as you surely know. But with the passing of time, I think this new show’s heart is in the right place and I’m eager to see it.

Specifically, the vaguely 70s’-graded bloom-lit 3D is just on the right side of aesthetic completion in an age where virtually everything is computer-tweened popsicle-puppet 2D. Give it a chance!

3 Likes

Past adaptations:

Die Muminfamilie (West Germany 1959-1960)

Tove Jasson no Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka (Moomin) (Japan 1969-1970)

Mumintrollet (Sweden 1969-1970)

Shin Mūmin (New Moomin) (Japan 1972)

Mumindalen (Sweden 1973)

Mumi-troll (Soviet Union 1978)

Opowiadania Muminków (The Moomins) (Poland 1977–1982)

Vem ska trösta knyttet? (Who Will Comfort Toffle?) (Sweden 1980)

Šljapa Volšebnika (Finn Family Moomintroll/The Happy Moomins) (Soviet Union 1980-1983)

Moomin (Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka) (Japan, Finland, Netherlands 1990-1991)

Moomin (Tanoshii Moomin Ikka: Bōken Nikki) (Japan, Finland, Netherlands 1991-1992)

Comet in Moominland (Tanoshii Moomin Ikka: Moomin Tani no Suisei) (Japan, Finland, Netherlands 1992)

The Book about Moomin, Mymble and Little My (Hur gick det sen?) (Sweden 1993) Can’t find video for this one.

Moomins And Midsummer Madness (Muumi ja vaarallinen juhannus) (Poland, Finland 2008) (recut from Opowiadania Muminków)

Moomins and the Comet Chase (Muumi ja punainen pyrstötähti) (Poland, Finland 2010) (recut from Opowiadania Muminków)

Moomins on the Riviera (Muumit Rivieralla) (France, Finland 2014)

Moomins and the Winter Wonderland (Muumien taikatalvi) (Poland, Finland 2017) (recut from Opowiadania Muminków)

8 Likes

Looking at the world they’ve designed, I’m looking forward to guest appearances from Rayman and Globox :smiley:

During this polar vortex, hot chocolate, warm slippers, and rereading Finn Family Moomin Troll sounds about right.

3 Likes

I have a confession to make.

I was today years old when I first learned what a Moomin was.

7 Likes

That might because Jansson wouldn’t sell Moomins to Disney.

1 Like