Trailer for the animated Addams Family

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/09/trailer-for-the-animated-addam.html

7 Likes

Looks pretty sweet, neat and petite.
Also one of my like goals to have a relationship as deep and loving as Gomez and Morticia. They are the perfect couple.

17 Likes

But with the pop culture references?
I’m inclined to believe that the film makers didn’t get what was great about the show.
Or did and didn’t want this to be that.
SAD.

5 Likes

I would love to see that voice cast in a new live-action Addams Family.

2 Likes

I don’t think anything will replace the Sonnenfeld movies for me. They’re pretty much perfect.

3 Likes

I was… skeptical when I heard that this was happening, but I’m sold, now that I’ve seen it, it seems to be a perfect cross between the original cartoons and the original TV show. If you don’t know the original cartoons, google it.

5 Likes

Sad is more on-brand for the Addams Family than “happy.”

AD6D34DA-624E-431D-8817-72B3D9F90886

14 Likes

I like the style of the animation, but I’m not sold on the voice for Morticia. Ah well, I’m sure I’ll watch it regardless.

3 Likes
15 Likes

I want it now.

1 Like

No no no, the art style is all wrong for anime. More like this:

3 Likes

The kids will flip. (They love the old series, too.)

Is that an eye on Thing’s wrist? That seems wrong. Thing don’t need no eyes.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s an eyeWatch.

9 Likes

Counterpoint:

3 Likes

Eye sea watch ewe did there.

4 Likes

i love the look, but it’s not working for me. i think i need to see more and get used to it.

14 Likes

I don’t mind a reference to IT. That definitely keeps with the style of the show and comic. Part of the joy of the show was their reactions to ‘normal life’ – their twist on playing Battleship or their joyful reactions to things ‘normal’ people find horrifying. You can’t really do that without referencing ‘pop culture’ or just things in everyday life.

The voices are pretty good. I have faith that Charlize Theron will bring the creepiness, and the kids sound fine. Oscar Isaac is spot-on as Gomez. Fester might be a little too deranged sounding. Can’t wait to hear Bette Midler as Grandmama.

2 Likes

“You sank my battleship”? Ugh. If that’s the level of humor we can expect from this movie, I think I’ll stick to my copy of The World of Chas Addams.

Exploding a big chunk of the house (or electrocuting / decapitating people) to play kids’ games was a regular feature of the TV show and previous movies as well.

5 Likes