The (new) Munsters will live in "hipster" Brooklyn

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/11/the-new-munsters-will-live-i.html

3813697780a3173871b61ddb18c2cca3--horror-pics-the-munsters

9 Likes

Mockingbird Lane

5 Likes

http://media.hollywood.com/images/672x1000/3553411.jpg

1 Like

So is the show actually a critique of gentrification?

6 Likes

Actually the Addams Family was better. And, starting in the New Yorker, it had bona fide New York roots (as well as a more NY attitude I think).

Let the fan flamewars begin!

12 Likes

Once wrote a response to a prompt asking who would win between the two.

I frankly am saddened the crossover never happened. It’d end up being pretty fun.

2 Likes

Why a flame war when you are speaking the absolute truth?

4 Likes

We really liked the pilot, and were disappointed that that was all they wrote.

3 Likes

No, just f’ing no.

2 Likes

The Munsters were an Addams Family parody right? West coast Addams?

2 Likes

Yeah, the only thing that The Musters had were the theme and the cars.

4 Likes

Well true the Addams family came out of Charles Addams New Yorker cartoons so I suppose you could be on to something.

05addams_CA0-articleLarge

4 Likes

I believe they came out as tv shows at the same time (although the cartoons far predated the show). While obviously similar, they were indeed inversions too. East coast/west coast; wealthy/working class; debonnaire husband/bumbling husband; wholesome marital love/sexual marital love… etc.

5 Likes

Well they also had the (rare on TV at the time) ridicule of bourgeois values, and working class protagonists… Fred Gwynne’s performance was pretty excellent slapstick too. But, yeah, the Addams Family was better.

3 Likes

Will Paul Ryan play Eddie?

3 Likes

The Mooch

2 Likes

I never enjoyed The Munsters but this reboot/remake looks entirely missable.

Munsters was more specifically a parody of classic Universal Pictures monster movie properties like Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon etc.

3 Likes