This clip of The Munsters might get you in the Halloween spirit

Originally published at: This clip of The Munsters might get you in the Halloween spirit | Boing Boing

2 Likes

That puts me in the Halloween spirit in that I wish death upon everyone involved with creating that.

4 Likes

The Munsters don’t do it for me. Give me The Addamms Family any day of the year.

8 Likes

From what I saw of the first trailer, it looks like he’s going for the exact, low-budget style of the show… the timing on the dialogue is spot on! And the dad-worthy jokes… Seems like it’s gonna be fun!

But haters gonna hate, so…

I also lean towards the Addams family, but I still enjoyed the Munsters - they’re just a different vibe, I think.

11 Likes

I hear you. I and the Munsters, though, work on different wavelengths. It’s always seemed to be more of a stereotypical sitcom but with the characters happening to be in costume, while the Addams’ actors inhabited their roles and well-supported the otherness of the Addams’s world.

2 Likes

I think the Addams Family has also held up better because they were always their own thing, whereas the Munsters were created as a parody of classic Universal horror movies that most contemporary audiences have never even seen except through other pop culture references.

How many kids today have seen Bela Lugosi’s Dracula or Boris Karloff’s Frankenstein on screen?

6 Likes

Probably more than you’d think… I think we forget that kids today have much more ready access to all sorts of culture from the past online, and seem generally eager to embrace that.

5 Likes

Agreed.

Supporting argument here…

ETA: Also, with streaming services and on-demand viewing these days it’s good to remember that viewership is no longer pie. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

God, I always forget that Genndy Tartakovsky directed those…

1 Like

The new Netflix series Wednesday is looking promising.

3 Likes

Isn’t the same without the laugh track.

The greatest crime that the original “Munsters” series committed is that they didn’t spin the Zombo character off into his own show, maybe partnering with Gorgo the Gorilla from “The Addams Family” in a sort of “Goober and the Ghost Chasers”-type mystery solving duo.

77b6cb16456f383906e10e6cf470a6ff

1 Like

Ok, they now have my attention. :smiley: :bat:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.