Trailer for Oliver Stone's "Snowden"

[Read the post]

1 Like

"pulse-pounding thriller"
Really?
Why do they let this guy still make movies?

4 Likes

3 Likes

And you can probably see it sooner if someone leaks it on the internet.

13 Likes

I saw a test screening. Apparently there was a second whistleblower on the grassy knoll.

6 Likes

Yes, and he is buried out in the desert, I kept the shovel, as a souvenir.

3 Likes

Really? I thought he was swimming with the fishes.

2 Likes

I’ll probably watch this because Joseph Gordon Levitt fills me with glee, and so does Edward Snowden to some extent, but I have a sneaking feeling it’s mostly dodgy “how the intertubes work” exposition and Hollywood corn-cheese sprinkled with semi-bonkers politics and I haven’t even got onto Nicholas Cage is in it

6 Likes

So JGL is doing Snowden’s voice. Huh.

1 Like

I am all for Oliver Stone telling this story, but JGL doing the Snowden voice is going to take some getting used to.

1 Like

Wait…is this anything like popcorn topped with Parmesan? 'Cause that’s kinda tasty.

[Why, yes, I am in a goofy mood tonight; why do you ask?]

1 Like

At least it has Nic Cage in it.

2 Likes

I’m pretty impressed with how close Joseph’s voice and presence is.

The moment I saw Nicholas Cage, though, I was like “Oh. My Gawd. Why.”

1 Like

Nobody seems to care that this flick could change a few minds on the hero/traitor question…

Gets two thumbs up from me, Nick Cage notwithstanding (looks like a bit part anyway).

Cool birthday present. Ta, Ollie

3 Likes

That could actually be a genius casting decision. Put Cage on the bill to draw in an audience that would never go to see a “serious” movie about Snowden, then relegate him to a cameo and present your serious movie anyway.

OTOH, I’d be surprised if that’s what they’ve actually done.

2 Likes

That would be great. I’m hoping family members see it. I’d also like family to see Citizen Four, if I can figure out how to get it in front of them. When Ed Snowden goes “if I get arrested, I get arrested” (in the Hong Kong hotel IIRC, after they’ve decided to relocate and they’re getting ready), that’s gripping and it humanizes him, turns him into a real person. Just a man trying to do the right thing against incredible odds.

ETA: Back when the news of the leaks was breaking, a family member asked what I thought about what Snowden did. Why didn’t they ask what I thought about what the NSA did? I try to be extremely gentle with family on politics so I didn’t point this out.

3 Likes

No he sleeps with the fishes.

2 Likes

I thought Platoon was awesome. I had done two hits of acid, mind.

1 Like

Why have I never thought of that?

1 Like

Just what the Snowden situation needs – more disinformation.

I wish Oliver Stone would use his amazing film-making and story-telling abilities for epistemic good instead of epistemic evil.