Trailer for The Martian starring Matt Damon, directed by Ridley Scott

Matthew McConaughey to the rescue!

1 Like

Starship sofa did an interview with Andy Weir about the book and the movie, I think; I donā€™t remember it very well, I listened to it on a flight that got delayed out of arkansas (FSM :slight_smile: ) and I was worrying about getting stuck in dallas over night.

http://www.starshipsofa.com/blog/2014/12/31/starshipsofa-no-368-brent-knowles-andy-weir/

You didnā€™t read the book, did you? :slight_smile:

He keeps a journal as a sort of blog not to go crazy. He swears a lot. I mean, heā€™s left for dead and alone. He doesnā€™t have much reason to self-censor.

It isnā€™t. Rocks donā€™t have a spare that you need to pull out of your side after piercing your suit (and thatā€™s in both the book and the trailer).

1 Like

Ridley Scott with source material and/or a decent producer is good Ridley Scott. #fingerscrossed #dontfuckthisupRidley

1 Like

The shadows look a bit soft too.

Edit: I know what OJ would say.

Around 1/100th of an atmosphere

But wind speeds can be very high. The low temperature and high level of carbon dioxide gives it a fairly high density. low gravity makes it harder to stay on your feet.

Well so much for my trailer-watching skills.

I hope thereā€™s a redband trailer that starts with the first line of the book. Hearing him read that on a podcast was why I read the book.

Nice article about the book and the importance of broad skillz:
Physics Buzz: Life Lessons from The Martian (itā€™s not all about physics)

More than any other story I've read, this book emphasizes the need for a broad scientific literacy that lies deeper than a Google search (no internet on Mars), as a matter of life and death.

Now, if it was Mr. Bean stranded on Mars weā€™d have something. Mr. Bean and his back-seat-driving Mars Mini.

Pretty much captures the tone of the book. The characters in the book were sadly very 2D, idealistic to the verge of being comical-- it made me cringe a bit.

But thatā€™s OK, not all stories and films have to cynically probe and critique human nature. This is just a simple, straight-up sci-fi adventure story, not unlike ā€œGravityā€ from a couple years back.

Let me just say: there will be too much acting, too many unbelievable moments and too little meaning for this film to have any lasting merit. At least we can oogle over the sets and sfxā€¦but then weā€™ve seen it all before anyway so whatever. Red Planet and Mission to Mars are the bars to beatā€¦again theyā€™re set so low that besting those clipped productions will send most into a depression. Maybe Robinson Crusoe on Mars is the bar to beat, yes 1964, age of the SR-71 and X-15, everything since is derivative. Can the F-35 do sub-orbital operations? no. I rest my case. That was the future, this is just filler. Ok, Europa Report then, thatā€™s the one to match, or the nuanced performance of Moon.

Let us meditate: Dear hollywood, this movie will be a mess, but find it in your heart to fund four other movies that have soul and that will contribute to the greater cultural good. May the director of this mess please not refer to Kubrick or 2001 as their inspiration. And, may everyone forgive this production for forgetting every other fuck-up in all those recent scifi bombs that insult the intelligence and echo across comment sections with apologetic fan spum and easy troll pickings.

One of the great Sci-Fi films of our time IMO. Massively overlooked.

1 Like

I think this is why I loved Mars, because it didnā€™t pretend to be anything other than ridiculous. Instead of going under or over the bar, it just went around it.

1 Like

The author of the book has admitted that the dust-storm-tragedy-opening is his one big mistake/artistic license, that thereā€™s no way it could happen as describedā€¦ but virtually everything else in the book is plausible based on real science.

ā€œAside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?ā€

1 Like

Heh, fair enough, but when most other SF works have huge gaping flaws/made up science up the wazoo, I personally find it refreshing when thereā€™s only one, and the author admits it. :slight_smile: (Of course, that said, I have no idea if the movie will keep to that same spiritā€¦ probably not).

Did not know about Mars, thanks for the link. Trailer makes me think I might like it too.

Iā€™d rather that Hollywood crawled up its own trite incestuous ass and died. Without their near-monopoly on distribution, weā€™d see more real movies.

1 Like