6 Likes

Frustrated Miss Piggy GIF

14 Likes

Money laundering, right?

4 Likes

Google maps for the curious

8 Likes

Maybe Victor and Vlad needed a new pad…

The U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York has filed a civil forfeiture complaint against six real properties located in New York, New York; Southampton, New York; and Fisher Island, Florida, worth approximately $75 million. The complaint alleges that the properties beneficially owned by Russian oligarch Viktor Vekselberg are the proceeds of sanctions violations and were involved in international money laundering transactions.

4 Likes

reminds me of certain real estate here in the keys - mobiles selling for half a mil (more if you get to own the lot). and they’re selling!
but this one at nearly $5k/sqft!!! whoa… no, thanks.

10 Likes

If millionaires are fighting over a trailer park, where do the workers live?

12 Likes

Workers for Long Island actually usually live on the island, once you get away from the shoreline prices drop significantly, and the many areas that don’t have ready access to mass transit (LIRR and buses, mostly) are fairly inexpensive, at least for the region. People who like living in a city have Queens and Brooklyn, while the interior of the island still has some significant agriculture and semi-rural communities, though many of these are rapidly becoming little more than suburban commuter enclaves for NYC.

4 Likes

Slightly suspicious that trailer is 8000 800 sq ft. The plot, maybe.

(Oops - too many zeros - edited to fix)

1 Like

from the article:
"An off-market listing for an 800-square-foot oceanfront Montauk trailer is in contract to sell for a record $3.75 million, which equates to a cool $5,000 per-square-foot, The Post has learned."

3 Likes

800 is 20 x 40 - that trailer looks more like 10 x 40 :man_shrugging:

(Yeah - I had too many zeroes - edited)

4 Likes

It’s weird how money makes people stoopid, and more money makes em more stoopidder.

2 Likes

The real problem here is the overall market for housing is being driven out of control, primarily by corporations buying up as much housing stock as they can for cash, which is pushing out first-time buyers, especially. The previous market crash back in 2008 allowed for the rise of rental companies that bought as much property as possible to rent out, and as a result it drove up both rents and the cost of buying a house. This is happening all across the country, not just in elite enclaves. It has nothing to do with people being “stupid”, it has to do with housing being considered a commodity, not a human right. That’s a capitalist ideology that demands that ALL aspects of human life should be in service to the market, and not the other way around. :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Yeah I live not far from the Jersey Shore, and housing prices on the barrier islands/peninsulas like LBI and Barnegat Peninsula are insane. When I first moved here, the house we were buying wasn’t ready yet, and so we rented a house in Seaside Heights. It was early winter, so the price was pretty reasonable. It was a 600 or 800 sq.ft. house and we paid I think 1500 a month or something. Maybe 2000, I don’t remember. Anyway, the owner told us she got 3000 a week for that house in the summer. And this was an older house that was showing its age. The nice places are even higher. Not many people live on the Shore year round. Most of the houses are just revenue generators for already rich people.

6 Likes

It’s not just a problem in specific parts of the country either - cities or locations like coastal towns get a lot of focus, but affordable housing is becoming a problem everywhere now.

And I bet you that an increasingly large number of them are now owned by rental companies, too.

5 Likes

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect you’re right. They’ve been building new houses like crazy the last few years. I wasn’t living here then, but Sandy did a lot of damage. It also changed building codes, so a lot of older homes that weren’t destroyed by Sandy are being torn down once their current owner decides to sell, because it’s not really practical for the new owner to get the house up to code. So yeah…investors are buying these, tearing them down, and then building new cookie cutter 2 and 3 story vacation homes on stilts that all look identical, so I’m sure most of them are corporate owned.

5 Likes

I can’t say for sure, either, but it would fit with the larger post-2008 pattern that can be seen across the country… but it’s the logical outcome for treating housing like a commodity instead of a necessity of life - that and the homelessness crisis that is happening as well.

5 Likes

Ah, Farhampton.

I think that’s technically closer to Boston than Manhattan (as the crow flies).

2 Likes

I haven’t looked at the specific listing, but while unusual, it’s not hard to believe 800 sq ft is a possibility. I’m a full time RVer and I recently met someone with a custom trailer that was over 50 ft long (pulled with a semi) with slideouts up and down along both sides - it totaled about 960 sq ft. If you look online you’ll find examples of things like Will Smith’s former custom trailer that expanded to two levels and totaled 1200 sq ft.