Transparency - changes to the BBS

I feel like I should chime in here, as someone who has never made regular but still been part of the community for a long time. Right? Posters here have some vague familiarity with me? Fine, whatever, but I think someone should try to offer a tl2 perspective.

And if that’s me, well, I’m not sure what this is fixing. There’s no question you’re right that I’m left on a lesser tier. But while I can say I’ve been interested in the regular areas, I’ve rarely resented them, not when access is plainly earned through posters investing a great deal in this place. I’m always going to be more of an outsider than people who pay close attention to all aspects of the community here, whether that happens through PMs, private groups, or is hidden among the public posts.

The only times it’s been a real concern has been when there’s been some sort of terrible upset, as at present, and I greatly appreciate your decision to make sure the moderation discussion is accessible. But, you know, regulars have been generous to fill me on what was going on, and it’s mostly concerning when they don’t know either.

If it is appropriate to mention the present bans, for instance, it didn’t actually take much to understand that ModusOperandi was suspended for going against rules, and others that argued with moderation got suspended as well. What wasn’t answered was how it was possibly thought fair to give a wonderful poster like OtherMichael a decade ban, or to list “asked for it” as a ban reason on posters who didn’t actually go willingly, and what might happen around that. I can’t know what’s been said in the lounge, but it sure doesn’t feel like people have found answers there either.

So to me, that’s the crisis that needs to be addressed, and this isn’t really part of it. Now, I realize I have no idea what I’m actually missing, so maybe all of this is badly off the mark. But again, if this is a compromise to the tl3s being done for us tl2s, I figured you should hear from at least one of us.

56 Likes