Transparency - changes to the BBS

Word to the wise: You can’t fight City Hall.

6 Likes

Ayup, I did miss it. Thanks. That was a risk in mentioning the date, and I willingly took it.

Still, it doesn’t make the talk about “darkness” or “people who spend more time typing to people online than they do with their throat muscles in real life” any more credible. If you haven’t been participating in the community, coming in and preaching that everyone’s been “doing it wrong” is pretty tone deaf.

8 Likes

Everything is arbitrary, because that is what makes them rules: they arbitrate between permissible and impermissible. And the rules were clear, albeit not posted in every thread. To be a regular you would need to:

• Be active about every two days
  • Have read a total of 1000 posts in the past 100 days
  • Have not had FIVE flagged, separate posts in the past 100 days
  • Have liked a certain number of posts.

Yeah, and have you noticed a pattern? The exhibitionists are all cis-white males.

7 Likes

Looks like my banana brethren AJWT and OtherMichael have pointed the way for me.

Best of luck everyone. Be cool.

18 Likes

In that case, yes. Pretty obvious.

4 Likes

Beware of leopards. Zoning will be completed.

5 Likes

C’mon, you know what I meant, or will if you think about it.

Those rules do not designate or create any sort of trustworthiness or empathy that makes a person more conformant to either of the personalities @nunguesser implicitly referenced, those being a person who is supportive of another who needs support, or a person who needs a place to share something.

2 Likes

@orenwolf Obviously you were trying, and most of us appreciate that. But no community, by any definition of community, can recover from ownership that has a different vision.

15 Likes

I think it would probably be more effective to just get it over with and ban everyone familiar enough with the bbs to have achieved the status of “Regular,” because this death by a thousand cuts bullshit is too hard to watch.

14 Likes

I never had a problem with either one; I’ve always simply taken them at their words, and not tried to read deeper meanings into them. But I certainly had problems with three others!

Regardless of who you think were the problem children, we’ve both just agreed that they exist. As a tiny minority, just as I claimed above.

This community has radically changed at least three times while I’ve been part of it. I’ve changed my usernym each time, become a new me, but others have simply left, some of them meteorically. I miss more than a few of them, but I respect their choices.

I’m out for now, got work to do. Live long and prosper.

4 Likes

The more serious the matter, the greater the need to be daft! In context I see myself as chassid of Krustovsky Rebbe at times.

I like @Medievalist am often happiest at the kids table

In case that included me (cant think of another _b here) you dont have to avoid calling me by name. I’ve been called those words and worse before. If not me then

5 Likes

Funny thing is how you and I can vehemently disagree on some important points but still converse. Dunno what that means…

6 Likes

Hey, join the club. I’m a troll because I use the phrases SJW and cuck (referring to myself, and conservative concern trolls respectively). I’m not quite sure what you did to merit that, but I think it had something to do with othering diasporic jewry.

I think the vast majority of us can agree that we’re all capable of this behavior from time to time. I know I certainly cross the line occasionally, though I try really hard not to do so for long. We can, of course, disagree on what makes for that behavior as well… which is both a strength and weakness of the community.

2 Likes

That is untrue, and I think you need to step back a little from this discussion, as you’ve lost objectivity into a strange spiral of blaming “cis-white males” for things.

11 Likes

The arbitrariness of regular status was something many of us weren’t happy about. There’s so many wonderful mutants here that while they weren’t super active, I wish they could have been promoted. On the other hand the algorithmic aspect also ensured that nobody would slip through the cracks.

These aren’t hard problems to solve! Instead it was decided to simply throw out the proverbial baby with the proverbial bathwater

14 Likes

8 Likes

I apparently don’t read enough threads/day to be “trustworthy”, so I had accepted the fact that I wasn’t memorable enough to qualify for Regular status.

Outside of my personal gripes, I’ve found that forums with a central clique do really well until something goes wrong with the moderation team (usually stemming from the fact that mods can be in the in-crowd only because they’re mods, not because they’re particularly well-liked) and then diaspora.

10 Likes

To be clear, I believe some people called you a trolley because you were using the term ‘cuck’ to insult people, and when that was pointed out as a specifically alt-right term, you doubled-down on your use of it, despite people asking you not to.

11 Likes

They could be promoted and were - albeit sometimes by total accident.

Personally, I think shakespeare was full of shit. To have loved and lost is worse than to not have loved at all in the first place. The ache of loss is far greater than the joy of love. Which is why I feel a kinship with the author of Ecclesiastes: