Transparency - changes to the BBS

I’d mildly disagree with this. The rules did require someone to actively participate for an extended period, while not actively being enough of an arse to demand mod intervention. It’s not difficult to see how that would have the effect of selecting for people who both have something to share, and who are not unsupportive.

It’s not a 100% perfect system for guaranteeing such things, but then, nothing really is.

13 Likes

I always assumed the expression dates back to before most homes had indoor plumbing and bathwater actually had to be dumped on the ground outside. (ETA: And maybe forgetting to take the baby out first was a common mistake?)

18 Likes

I disagree, to the point where my first impulse was some variation on “you’re doing it wrong.”

But I’ve been lucky. My heartbreaks have been survivable, my joys in love tremendous. That’s why I keep doing it.

9 Likes

I haven’t taken a bath in nearly forty years. Just showers since then. But yes, I have drained the tub because I have always had tubs that drained.

Throwing out the bathwater was more like my grandparents’ generation.

6 Likes

Turns out the expression isn’t about making a mistake but a sad comment on the realities of dire poverty and lack of access to family planning. History truly was hell.

18 Likes

In terms of moderation and taking an active role, is @Falcor still going to be moderating regularly? I’ve seen his comments very rarely as of late and I apologize if I’ve missed something.

13 Likes

I would have pressed like but:

edit: @orenwolf I hit the daily jackpot

10 Likes

Glorious isnt it?

My hat off to you, then!

11 Likes

Please don’t. Walk it back. You’re a valued part of this community, you’re causing real damage, and the damage would be your absence.

9 Likes

It was an oblique tribute to @enso

One straw doll I would have preferred not to have to trample into the road. :anguished:

7 Likes

I dont get it but probably dont need it explained either.

EDIT: oh… their icon…

Too late.

Fucking 15 characters now.

9 Likes

Falcor is around, but taking some much-needed rest in Fantasia at the moment. :slight_smile:

26 Likes

Kitteh chaser

26 Likes

No take backsies.

7 Likes

*sighs

This change will not make the community better, in my meaningless opinion.

I predict it will only foster resentment, discord and more schisms, not a more unified forum.

And all the snarky references made to “caste systems” are erroneous hyperbole, btw; by definition one born into a ‘caste’ was stuck there for life - unlike regular status, there was no possibility of mobility upward.

But it is what it is; and right now, “what it is” is pretty damn disheartening.

*sighs again

I’m gonna make some more coffee; after staying up til 3 am exporting my images, I need it…

31 Likes

The difficulty of preparing bath water often meant that the same water might be used for a whole family’s bath, and the baby was frequently bathed last. At this point, the bath water might be quite dirty and might obscure view of the baby. A mother wouldn’t want to mistakenly discard the baby with the dirty, murky water — not that this was likely to occur.

18 Likes

If life is truly “transactional”, you are always paying and being paid, whether you are aware of it or not. Whether or not one’s pet symbol-system accurately reflects this is an entirely different problem.

2 Likes

Can’t tell if sarcasm or not.

Anyway, if he’s gonna make an exit, he should make an exit.

2 Likes