Transparency - changes to the BBS

Amen.
My mother always warned me about thin-skinned angry orange things…
I need to apologize to her once again for not heeding her advice.

21 Likes

[quote=“nemomen, post:400, topic:99223”]
It is your house, but you’re making a huge mistake permanently kicking out a superfan for something so minor.[/quote]

This was kind of my reaction, it felt like all those attacks by Ikea against Ikea fan sites that I’ve read about somewhere or other.

Granted, @othermichael was quite capable of being very annoying – certainly I was not ecstatic the day I woke up to a nimeity of “likes” from him in my notifications – but I would normally have expected this blog to be especially tolerant of that kind of thing,

[quote=“Medievalist, post:403, topic:99223”]
I love the way I can post links to Amazon things for others here and the BBS will auto-tag them with the bOINGbOING code. [/quote]
Me too, I never could understand the complaints about the affiliate links, it was an extremely painless way to help provide a revenue stream for BB. As for the BB Store and poking fun at the VPN offerings, I was one of the culprits there, however when the VPNs they were pushing were established and respected I pointed that out as well.

21 Likes

Uhg, I remember that Melz…

23 Likes

Yep, it’s tiers all the way down.

15 Likes

I liked her, and I like the current one… even if she is a bit image happy.

15 Likes

I hope there’s a badge for those still snarking on Rob’s Safe opening thread.

22 Likes

Rob Ford has a safe opening thread?

24 Likes

OH GOD! Somebody needs to post or it will close!

20 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re being intentionally obtuse or just the messenger here but frankly all the moderation in the world won’t ever make this so.

As long as a place open to the internet, and as long as there aren’t some basic thresholds for more “hidden” discussion, people will get hurt and people will get doxxed if they share anything. Those who felt comfortable being themselves here will need to go back into hiding or find someplace else.

19 Likes

Rod Ford is still alive right? Is there a thread about this?

13 Likes

21 Likes

It has been confirmed elsewhere that while possible, we would have to work hard at it to do that so…

10 Likes

There’s a poll on that. Go be heard!

5 Likes

Welp, that’s the most 80s thing I’ve seen all week!

3 Likes

20 Likes

I don’t think it’s a matter of whether the members of that community will continue to exist as part of the larger BBS. If the Regulars didn’t have, and didn’t continue to have, interests that correspond to the topics being discussed outside of the Lounge, they’d never have gotten into the Lounge in the first place (and wouldn’t have been able to stay there once they achieved it). The problem is that there was a second, distinct community, and now that distinct community is being asked to amalgamate back into the melting pot.

I prefer more, smaller, distinct communities as opposed to fewer, larger, more homogenous ones. To borrow the phrase from Gene Roddenberry’s old money-grab: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. And I guess I can’t see the destruction of the distinctness of a community, even one that was never supposed to exist, as anything other than a tragedy.

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I think that that particular outcome would have been more likely, had there been any attempt to make this change from the bottom up, as opposed to from the top down. Between the post deletions, the bans, and now the closing of the Lounge, all in quick succession, it’s my sad opinion that there may just be too much hostility on both sides for this rift to ever truly mend.

From my perspective, our posts were taken from us, our friends were taken from us, and, while we’re still wearing the clothes of mourning from those losses, something else, something big, is taken from us, with nothing comparable given back in return. Yes, I understand that this whole place is a gift, freely given, but emotion doesn’t always react to that kind of logic as it should.

I’d like to think that a little bit of time and space: getting MO back, getting things back to a semblance of normality, waiting until the Ghosts had started changing their avatars back and had reappeared from the back channels — a few months, perhaps, of healing — would have made a difference, so that this didn’t feel like one more stab to the heart after the St. Elsewhere’s Day banning spree.

However, we can’t know if that’s true. What’s past has passed, and we have to deal with the situation that we have now. And the situation that we have now is a lot of pain and anger, most of which is directed towards one particular person, who isn’t going anywhere.

Since that’s the case, I simply don’t see how the distinct entity that was the BBS Regular community, having already lost several beloved members, as well as having been stripped of the symbol of their identity, their history as a community, and their refuge, can continue to exist here. Sure, some, or even probably most, of the members will remain here as part of the larger BBS community, but from the discussions that I’ve seen, the separate, distinct community that lately inhabited the #lounge no longer feels welcome here as a community.

29 Likes

13 Likes

18 Likes

Just one quick comment:

I’m not sure what you mean here.

I’m sorry if anyone feels that way. All I can do is reiterate that everyone in that community is welcome here, and that in time the BBS can again earn their trust. For my part, I’ve volunteered to take on a much greater role here to help make that happen.

I have expended considerable personal whuffie in advocating for this community since December, and I continue to intend to do so.

16 Likes

But some of the stuff in the lounge wasn’t about that. it was people opening up in a way they felt they could not in the public part of the board. Also, dealing with trollies and the like.

29 Likes