Transparency - changes to the BBS

Should we start a thread?

single tear rolls down cheek

27 Likes

23 Likes

Yeah, i just now downloaded mine and the redacted ones are there. I think any that have been flagged and removed should be there also so i’m guessing there’s no time limit for when you should download them. But don’t quote me on that.

6 Likes

grabbing the past five days worth of posts alone is killing my computer. i’m going minimal until tgask complete.

1 Like
5 Likes

@Melizmatic : make sure the following isn’t set in your prefs:

It’s possible some update reset this.

5 Likes

Of course I did, hon.

Unlike every clueless rando who calls IT support at the drop of a hat, I automatically “turned it off and then on again” before reaching out for help.

24 Likes

In which case I’m due to spew some fucking snark and aggro. If Im being smacked for shit I aint done, Imma make it worth it,

15 Likes

Sometimes the ad copy is just begging for it… I don’t think I have ever dissed the actual products though and the editors have been good at keeping the crap products out once they are aware of them as well.
But if the editors like to make snarkier titles for the ads I am good with nicely poking fun at the ad copy.
Ima hafta get a BB shirt once I get a job.

16 Likes

Do you have some inside knowledge on what triggered all of this that others might be missing?

5 Likes

I’m adding my voice to the chorus of people who are saddened by this decision. It’s absolutely BB’s choice to make but it definitely doesn’t feel like an improvement to me.

23 Likes

I’ve always owned my snark; both in 3D and on any site I’ve ever been on.

If nothing else, I am a smartass… for life.

I didn’t bother haranguing the staff about the obvious adposts no matter how frivolous or impractical, because the site I came from was far worse.

But no matter what anyone’s take on this may be, nothing anyone says is going to make it feel like it’s not punitive; not to me.

23 Likes

Paranoia suggests

REGULARS: We think it was a problem that @OtherMichael was banned forever because he was a Regular and Regulars deserve respect.

BOINGBOING: Fine, fixed. No Regulars, no respect, no problem.

but @donald_petersen was actually talking about something else

37 Likes

Not a lot to add to what’s already been said. I understand the motives of the mods and admins. I doubt the results will be quite what they hope.

I agree with the idea of discussing moderation issues in the open. But I politely disagree with the idea of eliminating the regulars’ private area. If it had never been in the first place, that would be one thing. By now it’s a major community built from readers who, whatever the opaque metrics, thrived in the wider community long enough to demonstrate they aren’t trolls or inveterate jerks (excepting that we can all be jerks occasionally). Razing that community will have 4.5 effects. Some will simply go with the flow, which is perfectly fine. Some will greatly lessen their BBS participation. Some with quit the BBS outright. And some will leave to make a separate community or communities outside of the BBS. And of those who stay, some will ramp up their use of private messaging, but it won’t be the same as the Lounge.

The results of just moving moderation topic discussions into open threads would get those out in the open, while making it easier for regulars to maintain their existing community. It is BoingBoing’s Discourse site, and in the end it’s their prerogative whether to host that community. But this makes it a lot more difficult for the community to survive as all must now find new accommodation at short notice, and a lot of old friends will be lost in the imperfect migration to new and uncertain spaces.

At the very least, helping with this transition to making a new Discourse Lounge outside the BBS and organizing the regulars who want to be a part of it so they know where and how to sign up for it, would likely be appreciated.

I want to be on record as saying three things.

1. I appreciate the work the mods put in and their difficult role.

2. My interest in the BBS is largely driven by the friendships I made here and continuing as an active participant will depend on how many of those friends depart.

3. I would like to be a part of whatever community is built to replace the BBS Regulars’ Lounge in the interest of maintaining those friendships.

Peace

39 Likes
17 Likes

There were what 160ish of us there. We are a blip compared to the rest of members. A very dedicated blip of crazies but that shouldn’t change for most of us.

17 Likes

It’s true a testament to your rational nature and maturity that you’re being so calm about all this.

It still sucks donkey dicks for quarters, though.

19 Likes

Oh heck I just realized. We can all run out of likes again… what the hell is the daily like limit for members?

20 Likes

Well, at least I can go and grab some screen shots of all the messages and support from the people who helped keep me going through the last six months of misery and death that’s surrounded me.

OH, WAIT I FUCKING CAN’T!

36 Likes

only 50. At least at TL2. Have fun y’all.

7 Likes