Traveler tests positive for COVID mid-flight, quarantines in airplane bathroom for five hours

Originally published at: Traveler tests positive for COVID mid-flight, quarantines in airplane bathroom for five hours | Boing Boing

18 Likes

Probably one of the nicest stories to come out of Covid-times.

47 Likes

I hope it wasn’t the only bathroom.

20 Likes

“There’s 150 people on the flight, and my biggest fear was giving it to them,” she said.

Dear Lady, you are a shinning beacon of light in these most dark times.

47 Likes

Right? So many people daily seem to be only concerned with themselves and finally we get a story about a person acting how they should - treating others they way they want to be treated.

Good on Rocky too - I think I’d go a bit nutty in that tiny room.

17 Likes

That’s great she was able to recognize the symptoms, test, and quarantine. But, uh, maybe don’t travel internationally during a pandemic? I wish my cousin had stayed in Spain this year. :confused: Oh well. She is at least vaccinated, as is her whole family. Her sister is immune-suppressed from having a heart transplant.

4 Likes

I’m fairly sure that that should read “Fotieo exchanged Instagram handles with Ragnhildur”, as an Icelander’s primary name is, I believe, their first name, and their patronymic or matronymic is more like a disambiguator than a surname in the American/British/etc. sense.

11 Likes

“Love in the Age of COVID-19”, a screenplay.

4 Likes

If the whole world stayed home for 2 or 3 weeks, we’d be done with it. I mean home as in one place; not travelling at all.

8 Likes

She would have needed to have a negative test within 72 hours of departure and show the results upon arrival. So it appears she went from negative to positive within that 72 hour period.

Iceland isn’t messing around with this. We had to show lab certified results prior to check-in and take another test before leaving.

Now she gets to go from confining herself to the airplane lavatory to confinement in a hotel for the next 14 days.

Hope she treats herself to a long stay at the Blue Lagoon once her quarantine is over. It’s amazing!!

16 Likes

I would have gone crazy if I couldn’t see friends and family at least at Christmas. It’s not that easy for those of us who live abroad.

5 Likes

Indeed

3 Likes

A hero for our times.

4 Likes

On a transatlantic flight? There are 4-8 bathrooms, depending on the plane and configuration.

9 Likes

Icelandair flys 757’s from the US so there’d be 2 lavatories aft, 1 mid-cabin and 1 forward.

9 Likes

As someone who has to settle for hanging out with their kid on the deck masked maybe twice a month, I understand. No sleep overs, no hanging out with movies and popcorn, no going out shopping or an attraction. It sucks.

Certainly there have been better times to travel with less spread. But with the new Omnicron and how well it spreads, I would just assume that being in a tin can for an hour is going to increase my chances of getting sick and spreading it to my family. :confused: YMMV.

2 Likes

(i.e. once a year)

That’s the difference. Yes, it’s a risk but a managed one. At least with inter-European flights chances are very low you’ll meet a violent anti-masker on the plane.

3 Likes

The Anti-Stephanie-Denaro, aka “Bagel Karen”!

6 Likes

Yeah but there is a Covid patient in each one

4 Likes

Now I want to go research plane air circulation details.

2 Likes