Treescrapers are arrant bullshit

I’m just gonna leave this here… WHOOPS, needs an edit.

Frank Lloyd Wright’s 1956 Hotel Illinois on the left. Just over one mile tall, not counting the antenna spike.
Adrian Smith’s 200? Burj Dubai on the right. Eventually built 2,722 ft tall as Burj Khalifa.
Adrian Smith’s design for Pappy bin Ladin’s Jeddah Tower on the left. right.

Wright rarely drew a building that wasn’t draped in greenery, but he didn’t put trees on the sides of his skyscrapers. They’re on those huge parkland ledges instead.

5 Likes

Well, now with synthetic biology - there will be a time in the not too distant future that you could plant a seed and it will grow into a tree-house.

On the other hand, there are those tree bridges of India.

3 Likes

Because it’s easier than a lawn and isn’t that the most important when the game is on?

Good idea, although arranging them along a vertical surface means less water for each of them…

1 Like

Oh, that vertical thing is just BS and not possible anyway. But green roofs are strongly, strongly encouraged to use rainwater, without it you don’t get the LEED point, which was the point of the green roof.

3 Likes

Thank you for that awesome link. I am going to try and make one on my property; check back with me in 20 years.

1 Like

A bunch of pork-pie-hatted basket-grubbers, one and all.

5 Likes

Treescrapers Are Arrant Bullshit

1 Like

What sort of plant/greenery would work better, shrubs? Tall grasses? Flowers? I like the idea behind all of this, but question what would be the best way.

1 Like

So it is better to plant tree bridges than to plant great hedges?

1 Like

i also understand hops grow like crazy, too – and we can make beer from them! win-win!

The left one DOES look similar to itself…

2 Likes

Actually, in the NW trees only grow on the north side of the mountain, the southern exposure is too baked and dry.

But I’m thrilled to see someone call bullshit on this type of eco-silliness.

4 Likes
2 Likes

There are a lot of variables here-- altitude, local climate, seasonal weather patterns, etc. I was only pointing out that the logic of “trees only grow on the north side of a mountain” wasn’t necessarily accurate in every situation.[quote=“gellfex, post:34, topic:76697”]
But I’m thrilled to see someone call bullshit on this type of eco-silliness.
[/quote]

I actually like the idea of trees growing on top of buildings, but I recognize that a lush garden with huge trees probably isn’t feasible for multiple reasons. That doesn’t mean we can’t have some amount of flora on top of buildings. I’m certainly not opposed to trying, but I don’t expect us to achieve anything like in the painting above.

3 Likes

A skyscraper covered with trees might be marginally bullshit, but massive sculptural trees covered in plant life? Not bullshit.

4 Likes

Also not bullshit:

mmmm is that, like, almost a direct copy, right?

1 Like

This seems like a very bad idea:

4 Likes