Trickle-down kids' TV: Sesame Street will air on HBO 9 months before PBS

Somehow yes… yes we have. Nice that you mention this on the 100th post, too!

1 Like

Hmmm, why can’t these capitalist bitches throw a dog a bone? A pointless arbitrary exclusivity should be balanced with a harmless generosity.

I expect that if it isn’t available on PBS 9 months after airing on HBO I shall feel perfectly fine with watching Game of Thrones without HBO or the DVDS.

Haven’t seen any of those yet, I hear it’s good.

1 Like

It’s more like a selection of episodes from the first several years. The “second season” goes all the way to the 90s.

Perhaps they will finally show that Katy Perry piece that got the prudes all up in arms…

My two favorite characters (Elmo can rot in heck)…
Blue detective would be awesome.

Timeliness. Sesame Street has a lot of parodies of pop culture, guest visits by current celebrities, etc. While these generally go over the heads of the children themselves, they are important because they encourage parents to view the show with their kids. If the shows get shifted by 9 months in their PBS viewing, these references become dated and less attractive.

1 Like

That’s an awfully minor consideration. Sesame Street doesn’t try to be utterly “of the moment” at the expense of rerun appeal down the road. The “Game of Chairs” episode aired four months ago, referencing a TV show in the middle of its fifth season. They’re not the kind of show that’s gonna get this summer’s one-hit-wonder instant sensation to appear. That’s not what they’re about.

By way of contrast, groove to the characteristically timeless appearance of Stevie Wonder on the show is Season Four (and don’t miss the smokin’ rendition of “Superstition” at 27:24).

3 Likes

THE GREATEST Sesame St. episode of all time. OF ALL TIME!

2 Likes

Stevie Wonder with a talkbox on Sesame Street. You just summed up 1983 for me.

EDIT: Holy crap this is the episode where CM wants to go to school! I haven’t seen this since before I saw Ave. Q.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.