Trombonist with a loop pedal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/08/trombonist-with-a-loop-pedal.html

6 Likes

This is magnificent trombone playing, with or without loops, and really inspiring stuff, thank you. And he has the perfect trombonist’s moustache.

14 Likes

I saw the subject line and thought it might’ve been something involving Stuart Dempster. Here he is with 9 other trombonists, recorded in an approx. 200-foot diameter cistern:

…and here’s the predecessor to that project, not as many trombones, but with Pauline Oliveros:

6 Likes

My daughter did something like this when she was 14, in 2013, for a school concert. She got retweeted by both Zöe Keating and Trombone Weekly!

12 Likes

That’s super cool!! If I’d only had a loop pedal when I was 14.

4 Likes

Obligatory:

Basic Instructions

6 Likes

It helps to have a Dad who is a guitarist. (I wish loop pedals were INVENTED when I was 14!)

3 Likes

After I watched it, I had the strong compulsion to create a super-villain named “Tromboneo Moustachio”.

2 Likes

Here’s a slightly less melodic (but hypnotic if listened to with headphones for a bit) loop piece I made with a friend:

1 Like

I remember the old way, with literal loops of tape. But this wasn’t on the fly (as with the aforementioned Pauline Oliveros, or Frippertronics etc.) – I was in there with a razor and splicing block. I think I worked for 4 hours on maybe 2 minutes’ worth of material.

Also, nothing to do with looping, but it does have to do with repetition:

2 Likes

That was very relaxing.

2 Likes

Fabulous! I loved how he stood back and just let the loops play the end of the piece. But I was a little disappointed he didn’t do more percussion; I liked the first few minutes of the piece much better than the remainder.

Amy X Neuburg (an Oberlin trained vocalist) has been doing this for decades with her voice and electronic percussion. Her album, Residue*, is just her in the studio, all done in real time without multitracking. My favorite piece is The Tattoo Song:

*The low rating is because there are only 6 reviews, one of which is a one star because the music was “over the head” of that reviewer.

1 Like

I’m listening to Morning Light for a second time now, and it reminds me somewhat of the Vangelis soundtrack for Blade Runner. I’m enjoying it very much, and I’m going to seek out more of his/their work, thanks.

1 Like

I’m gona vote got “Life Stepped In” as a tour-de-force of looping. Getting to see her do it live was amazing.

1 Like

I’d love to see Amy live.

I don’t know… I think it needs more trombone.

2 Likes

I’m disappointed that I can’t find an audio-only download of this. I’d love to have this in my music library (and would pay for it if given the opportunity!)

After I watched it, I had the strong compulsion to create a super-villain named “Tromboneo Moustachio”.

My trombonist former roommate started out simply wanting to avoid shaving injuries; he used to call his lower-lip facial hair “Eb” (or maybe it was Bb?) But then he turned into a super-villain.

1 Like

I played trombone for so long clean-shaven that when I tried playing it with a mustache it messed up my embouchure. I had to keep shaved to hit high notes! I guess it’s one of those things you learn to work with.

1 Like

Another impressive musician who uses a trombone and loop pedal (I think. It might be a trumpet. Can’t quite remember right now) is Australian Tash Sultana. Check her out!