Spectacular "Ambient Walkman Symphony" and other tape-loop, circuit bent performances

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/17/spectacular-ambient-walkman.html

4 Likes

Wow - does he actually open the cassettes, remove the tape spools, thread in a 12" loop of tape, and reseal the cassette? That’s craftsmanship even without the music!

3 Likes

As far as I know, Randall is still here in Portland, OR. At least he was when I saw him a few weeks ago.

1 Like

It’s easy to mistake Austin for Portland these days:

6 Likes

It’s a bit fiddly, but you could totally do it! There are a few different ways to twist and orient the loops so that there’s different lengths of playtime, and those can be found with a bit of googling. You just have to look out for the tapes with the little screws in the corners and not the factory-glued ones.

It’s fun! I totally recommend giving it a shot sometime.

1 Like

I like the sound. A kind of Tycho-ish vibe mixed in with some Carbon Based Lifeforms, with Eno, standing in the doorway, making conductor-like motions with his hands.

1 Like

I did, in 7th grade, I patiently twisted an entire tape so it played backwards. I felt like John Lennon.

1 Like

Very cool.

Oddly soothing. Nice.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.