Trucker tries to cross a tiny bridge with a load of logs

Right. The load pivots on top of the 3 axle trailer dolly. You can see it pivot by watching the vertical rods as they relate to the trailer wheels. Before the truck turns, the rod is directly above the second trailer axle. At about 1:20 into the video, when the trailer is in full swing, you can see that the vertical rod on the left side has swung forward of the 2nd axle.

If you are curious about the steering or pivoting mechanism, take a look at the Doll Trailers site. They make and sell these specialized pieces of machinery.

3 Likes

He cheated. His 5th wheel had yet another 5th wheel.

1 Like

“Wages of Fear” was a fantastic movie, except for the last 5 minutes which ruined the whole experience.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks man!

Sorcerer has an equivalent ending. Better backstory for the characters and their motivation though.

1 Like

They could have saved an awful lot of trouble if they’d just loaded up those logs the smart way.

smart-way

33 Likes

You joke, but if they had rockets at the top to help stabilize it, it might just work!

A couple of (true) Scotsmen would’ve done.

8 Likes

The Romans built good.

3 Likes

That is hard core awesome. Right tool for the job.

That’s a very purdy bridge though.

2 Likes

The driver has a joystick to steer the dolly’s wheels.

Ah, I was wondering about that. Also curious if there was more than one driver. Seems like that joystick for the rear would make an already difficult job of driving crazy hard.

I think they use a similar technique to determine bridge clearances, driving progressively taller trucks under the bridge until one gets canopenered. They do this very often on Gregson St. in Durham, NC, only to find that the bridge clearance is still 11’8".

4 Likes

It can be done with a second driver in the back bogey. Boeing delivers wing struts that way. Not an uncommon sight in the Seattle area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsZ6YPsPpj0

2 Likes

Thanks for that… I recognized a lot of that.

1 Like

Always nice to see someone who really knows their job do something difficult like this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, we knew that log drivers are nimble!

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

5 Likes

I have occasionally seen absurdly large wind turbine blades being moved down I-95 using steerable rear trucks. None this big, though!

2 Likes

Why did he have to take the logs along such a shitty route? That’s a lot of logs for a pole house.