Trump administration bans diversity training for federal workers, calling it "Anti-American"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/07/trump-administration-bans-dive.html

13 Likes

50 Likes

Refusing to confront one’s internalized racism is quintessentially American, so really this is a great fit.

39 Likes

Very interesting! The purpose for most companies that do diversity training isn’t so much they care about diversity or the personal behavior of their employees. What they want is to be able to say when they are sued that they took all steps possible to make the working environment livable for everyone.

Now, when an openly racist supervisor makes life hell for minority employees, and they sue, they’ll blame… Trump? They certainly won’t be able to cover their ass by proving the supervisor sat through diversity training.

I bet compliance training for sexual harassment is next on the list. Let’s just get back to the Mad Men days of swilling scotch, making racist jokes and chasing the secretaries around, right?

28 Likes

…and we get constant reminders of who he hates:

26 Likes

The regime’s desperate push to appeal to white supremacists and other bigoted voters in the coming weeks is only going to get uglier. They’re trying to make alt-right talking points like this one about diversity training part of the mainstream political discourse. Before November, I expect to see them bringing back the original “America First” scare stories about “rootless cosmopolitans” spreading “alien ideas” about diversity and equality.

25 Likes

You can watch that video on Youtube, actually, but I refuse to link it. It is hosted by something like 'BirtherReport" or something, and watermarked by Breitbart.

9 Likes

"“These types of ‘trainings,’” the memo claims, “not only run counter to the fundamental beliefs for which our Nation has stood since its inception…”

Yep, Racism, Sexism, and Homophobia of every stripe, are as American as Mum’s Apple Pie; that’s the Apple Pie Mum makes while she’s in the kitchen where she belongs.

23 Likes

I’m sure we’ll be hearing from the Flat Earthers next, about the evils of “globalism”.

22 Likes
12 Likes

So much white fragility.

29 Likes

They clearly don’t have a diversity problem…

…I count at least four different hair colours. Very diverse!

31 Likes

There is no depth he won’t go against POC.

19 Likes

Oh, they are of the Archie Bunker school of race. Skin color is for amateurs, they’ll be subdividing Slavs and Scandinavians and Irish and all the myriad shades of white eventually.

Lest we forget, the hatred of immigrants was forged against folks whose great-grandchildren now say the same things about people of other races and nationalities, and those days may come again. The hate they spew can easily be turned right back on them by the likes of Trump.

Bill the Butcher

17 Likes

I’m sure part of the plan is to make it impossible for the average employee to sue at all. There are already too many NDAs and standard arbitration/mediation clauses in contracts for workers. Throw in the expense and conservative influence on the judicial system, and all that will remain is the court of public opinion.

14 Likes

My first thought.

While working for the government, I also had to take “Bribery Awareness Training” after someone at a high level was caught accepting bribes to give special consideration to a drug company. It’s accepted practice now, so they’ll probably get rid of this too.

15 Likes

They will just rework it as “Bribery Training.”

11 Likes

They did call it “Sexual Harassment Training” and we joked it was to learn how to do it. We even put an “Instructional” after the “Harassment” to give it a nice acronym.

19 Likes

Now the classes at my hospital are online videos, but back when I worked in home health, they were done in groups. Depending on your classmates, they might as well have been what you describe…

10 Likes

If this training is so offensive to Trump, why didn’t he ban it right when he took office?

Why did he wait almost all of his term, until just a few months before the election?

…ah, I see.

17 Likes