DeVos' Civil Rights Office appointee opposes civil rights

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/17/devos-civil-rights-office-ap.html

5 Likes

The train wreck’s just getting started.

23 Likes

Ok, so the Trump admin’s hiring strategy is find the person who embodies the opposite of the purpose of every office. Is this reality, or are we living in a @beschizza “appointee generator” web app for a government-by-assholes that he abandoned because the algorithm was too predictable…

35 Likes

We are living in Bizarro World now, it seems.

9 Likes
6 Likes

I wish it was as fun as a train wreck.

21 Likes

Exactly. This is a cancer worming to get a foot hold everywhere it can.

10 Likes

Worms don’t have feet.

10 Likes

Following the links in the article, a very detailed accounting of this person and the issues can be found here:

10 Likes

Neither does cancer but let’s not derail.

10 Likes

After the election, Steve Bannon spoke at CPAC and openly admitted that the administration’s cabinet and hiring picks are specifically meant to “deconstruct” their agencies to undo the state as it exists. So, yep.

28 Likes

An op-ed in today’s New York Times has a story about how back in October a spokesperson said Trump was “proud to carry the ‘L.G.B.T. for Trump’ rainbow flag on stage,” since he was campaigning to be “president for all Americans.”

Of course that claim was already seriously undermined by his VP choice, but even then we knew that Trump’s definition of “all Americans” wasn’t really as inclusive as it sounded.

9 Likes

Sham on is right

2 Likes

“The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Truth with lies, the Ministry of Love with torture and the Ministry of Plenty with starvation. These contradictions are not accidental, nor do they result from from ordinary hypocrisy: they are deliberate exercises in doublethink.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

35 Likes

Surely the creation of “White FEMALE Privilege” is a step towards inclusion. :wink:

2 Likes

When was that created? Last week?

1 Like

Because historically, those from minority groups have had troub…you know what, no. I’m not explaining this. It’s been explained to death. It’s 2017, for God’s sake. Google that shit.

30 Likes

I wish I could be surprised by news like this, but this is exactly the sort of asshole I expect to end up in the Trump administration.

Yup, yet again, the administration is beyond satire.

And his cozying up to the Christian Right. It was always a farce - at best what he was saying was that he would protect US gays from foreign ISIS members wishing to oppress them (which is pretty easily done, by doing… nothing) in favor of American Christian Dominionists looking to oppress them.

7 Likes

Don’t forget that his White Trash base considers themselves a minority that deserves more. Because,you know, White is better.

4 Likes

Spot. On.