Biden Transition Team/Appointments Watch

No - not another trans thread.

Keeping an eye on transition, policy & appointments news. And Trump obstruction while handing over the government.

24 Likes
19 Likes

It could be both depending on how committed Biden is to inclusion.

21 Likes

We got Sarah McBride - anything is possible

12 Likes

She’s already worked in the White House.

11 Likes

Plus I want her in the Senate - I just meant more from a “these things are not as impossible as we are constantly told” standpoint

8 Likes

Let’s especially fuck this dude:

10 Likes

and antisocial-ism

18 Likes

What’s required for Biden to take office?

He just takes the oath - which several Presidents have done privately the day before the big ceremony because the 20th fell on a Sunday. Then made a show of it after they were already President.

—-
Article II, Section 1, Clause 8:

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:–I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
—-

No requirement that the Chief Justice or anyone else administer the oath - he can recite it by himself.

And no under god ending that several Presidents have added on at the end.

No one can stop this by not showing up as Chief Justice or by making the National Mall unsafe or not cooperating. He can administer the oath to himself in his basement if he needs to - though I make myself available to administer it in a pinch. :crazy_face:

21 Likes

Rachel Levine for Surgeon General?

2 Likes

Who will piss off Trump the most? Can we get them to do it?

14 Likes

Literally anyone

9 Likes

Hmm…either Obama or Stormy Daniels?

It’s a little more involved- you can’t take the oath until the Electoral College meets and votes in their states, reports out to Congress which tabulates the votes.

That’s America’s real election. We need to get rid of that and just have a Presidential election based on the national popular vote.

13 Likes

Get Greta Thunberg to head the EPA

10 Likes

It’s hard to imagine that Biden’s team will do jackshit to even slow the continually decling circumstances of America’s working classes.

Obama-Era Alumni Are Favorites for Biden’s Top Economic Posts

14 Likes

Merrick Garland

10 Likes

[sigh]

I’ll take it

2 Likes

The hope is that it would cause one of the conservative judges (probably Clarence Thomas) to suffer an apoplectic fit, freeing up a space on the court.

7 Likes

LBJ was sworn in by Sarah Hughes, a federal judge from Texas.

There is no reason to expect that Biden won’t be sworn in by the chief justice (who doesn’t really bear a grudge towards Biden), on the grounds of the capitol (which is controlled by Pelosi). If Roberts demures, Kagan or Sottomayer can easily administer the oath. If the National Park Service denies use of the Mall, it won’t have any effect on who holds the office of the presidency after noon on January 20.

6 Likes

26 Likes