Trump calls 50,000 federal employees back to work, won't pay them

Trump took the US hostage to build his wall.

Don’t negotiate with kidnappers, it just encourages more kidnapping.

16 Likes

What’s good for some should be good for all:

"When the real estate industry pointed out that the mortgage industry would come to a sudden halt unless the Internal Revenue Service could perform income verifications, not only were the clerks who perform the service suddenly deemed essential, they also were cleared to get paid. As well they should be. We shouldn’t expect anyone to show up for work if they are not receiving a check for services rendered when they are accustomed to receiving it. Trump’s whining on about a wall that will do next to nothing for our nation’s security while the front-line workers who are tasked with preventing another Sept. 11 go unpaid is the ultimate scam. Someone needs to call him on it.

Here’s a thought: The Women’s March is set for Saturday. Federal workers should join it. My guess is they will find a lot of support in the crowd." -WaPo

Sounds good to me.

7 Likes

13th Amendment

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

18 Likes

I’d be taking like 3 poop breaks an hour, what’er they going to do fire you.

5 Likes

To all employees:

Your break room has been re-located to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

7 Likes

No thanks, I can’t poop with an audience.

9 Likes

This assumes that Trump would base any decisions on evidence (no matter how tenuous). That Trump thinks shutting down the federal government for “months or years” is a credible threat shows he has absolutely no idea what the federal government does or how it works. If he wanted to get rid of a bunch of federal employees, he’d not need any excuse (based on anything happening in reality, anyways).

4 Likes

I’m sure that when he shut the government down out of spite, it wasn’t exactly the most well-thought-out decision (especially as we’ve learned that he, indeed, had no idea what that meant for real). But it sure seems that in the last few weeks, his advisors and Mitch McConnell have figured out how to spin this to their base as “what you wanted all along” and are quite enjoying their little coup.

4 Likes

You’ll never be POTUS then, pardner.

5 Likes

I believe this will last until at least 19th as that is the last day they are able to appeal the rollback of certain Russian sanctions. The people who make those decisions are restricted by the shutdown.
My money’s on January 19th - 21st (a Monday) for an end to the shutdown.

4 Likes

“A federal judge on Tuesday rejected a bid by unions representing air traffic controllers and other federal workers to force the government to pay them if they are required to work.”

Holy. Jumpin. Shitboxes. A federal court threw this out?!
Whoa.

11 Likes

It’s worth looking to see who the judge was and when he/she was appointed.

13 Likes

Most Federal employees don’t work for the Administration per se, they just do the routine but (mostly) important work to keep society running.

17 Likes

If it’s any consolation at least we know the judge isn’t bringing home a paycheck either.

2 Likes

Depending on which federal court/judge it is, they tend to not be big union supporters these days.

2 Likes

I require Vivaldi’s Four Seasons to be playing within earshot.

I guess we all have standards.

5 Likes

Who cares what they personally support or don’t support? Doesn’t your 13th amendment cover this?

1 Like

That’s actually a famous Dutch clown called Bassie from an 80s/90s tv show for kids called Bassie & Adriaan. Not sure what he has to do with Trump?

2 Likes

That depends entirely on the opinion of the individual judge, whose job it is to interpret law.

2 Likes