Trump CIA made plans to kidnap, assassinate Assange

Okay, short version:

A critic of Scientology submitted a number of Scientology works to the Swedish Parliament. Parliament provides the public with copies of documents filed with it, and that law, Offentlighetsprincipen, was enshrined in the Constitution.

The Clinton administration put a hell of a lot of pressure on Sweden to stop that. First the Swedish government tried to classify the Scientology works.

https://apnews.com/article/f3219da7e5b9ee74e7002746255dc9a6

But the courts said, nope. Out of options, it seems that they did a quick-fix bill to amend Offentlighetsprincipen. (Some of my sources have link-rotted, plus there’s the language barrier, so it’s a bit fuzzy on exatly what they did.) That sounds a bit dicey, but they wanted the problem gone.

The point is that Assange knew that Sweden had previously folded under US pressure.

Yes. Far more likely that Trump and Putin are the good guys… /s

But hey, as long as Americans get what they deserve, who cares, right?

Vice fucking versa. It takes two to tango. The RF under Putin is not some innocent victim here. He has very much brought back an oppressive one party state that squashes any dissent brutally, has worked to ethnically cleanse the country, turned back the clock on the rights of women and the LGBQT+ community, and married all that with the worst aspects of soviet imperialism, seeking to destabilize the middle east and central europe for his own benefit. He’s very much trying to rebuild the footprint of the soviet empire to boot, but without even any of the trappings of communism - just straight, naked power.

If you’re unable to recognize what I bad actor Putin is in your rush to condemn America, then you clearly are biased here. Both things can and are true - that American is an empire that regularly intervenes in global affairs when they should not, and that the RF does the exact same thing. If you REALLY believe that justifies overthrowing the US government and fucking all americans over, no matter what happens to us, then that’s on you.

Stop pretending like if the US stopped being an empire (which is NOT excusable and did not remotely diminish under Trump the way some believed) that the RF would stop being a brutal imperial state of its own. This is still competing empires all the way down, even if its not longer about competing economic systems.

Yes. So for that WE deserve to be under a fucking fascist dictatorship… I’m sure that destroying MY life, and the life of millions of Americans will compensate those who died.

You DO realize that this led directly to Putin being in power, as he was Yeltsin’s handpicked successor, right?

Unless it’s a war on those of who happen to live in America and opposed authoritarianism in our own country, right? Because that’s what’s going to happen. Again, do you REALLY want an unstable authoriarian in the two most armed nuclear powers on earth? Does that REALLY serve world peace and ensuring our children’s future? Please explain how a fascist American serves the goal of world peace?

7 Likes

Ah, I see. I need to shut up if I can’t come up with a solution which has eluded thousands of politicians and diplomats over the years…

It’s not my role to “solve” this problem on their side. It’s theirs to solve. Where as it’s clear that Putin believes that he needs to “solve” the problem of democracy in America. That’s no better than any sort of western intervention, which I ALSO oppose.

I think you’re mistaking me for someone who is unable to think for herself. I’m very capable of parsing what is bullshit and what is not for myself, actually.

I’m fucking hostile right now because their current government is hell-bent of making this a fascist country. I really don’t want to see people I love die to please that asshole. Nor have a said that we should invade or overthrow their government. One can publicly speak out against forms of oppression in other places and NOT want to go to war with that country.

I never said that. I have no interest in intervening in Russian internal affairs, even though it’s clear that plenty of people are suffering under this authoritarian rule. But keep putting words in my mouth.

Then maybe THEY should do something about that, instead of expecting America to fix it?

Tankies said the same shit about stalin’s murderous policies too. They were also wrong.

But that’s the only possible solution to this problem, either we invade their government and make them all Americans or we ignore his crimes and let him continue to intervene in US politics, etc. We’re all hypocrites if we don’t!!! /s

7 Likes

hear hear!

Some Spencer Ackerman and Kevin Paulson articles on Assange and how wikileaks changed…

Lovely @xeni makes an appearance in the above…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.