Trump closes out campaign with inspiring, poignant message of hate for Jews

Of course not. That’s a genuinely affecting story about what human beings can achieve under appalling circumstances. I appreciate your telling it.
[edit to remove text that @d_r found misleading]

6 Likes

The צַדִיקִים נִסתָּרים, lit: hidden righteous ones..

My grandfather definitely wasn’t one of those. But he was a man of integrity and decency, if not kindness and love; he lost those last two in the camps and with the death of his first wife and son.

But, yeah, rather than profiteering from smuggling, he gave the food away. I’m still in awe at that. And my father only found that out because one of the other survivors from that camp told him when they met when my father was in his 20s.

16 Likes

Interesting how obscure chassidic/khabalistic concepts creep into popular awareness.

1 Like

I was raised in a Chassidic-heavy community. Is it really a surprise that I know the concepts and shibboleths?

6 Likes

Not surprised about you, just how the concepts spread outside of the Jewish world.

Gee, it’s almost as if we exist inside a larger social space that isn’t walled off and isolated, despite the wishes of people who romanticize the ghettos of 16th century Poland as a Golden Era of Observant Jewry*

(*not directed at you; I’m just remembering a number of specific people back in Cleveland)

10 Likes

What dictionary do you use?

4 Likes

Yours, apparently.

Race, definition
1.1: [mass noun] The fact or condition of belonging to a racial division or group; the qualities or characteristics associated with this.
1.3 A group or set of people or things with a common feature or features: ‘some male firefighters still regarded women as a race apart’

Usage
In recent years, the associations of race with the ideologies and theories
that grew out of the work of 19th-century anthropologists and
physiologists has led to the use of the word race itself becoming
problematic. Although still used in general contexts, it is now often
replaced by other words which are less emotionally charged, such as
people(s) or community

1.2 Denoting origin by birth or descent rather than by present nationality: ‘ethnic Indian populations’

However, with your attempt to use the informal fallacy of Argumentum ad dictionarium, and your use of the word “Zionists” upthread as a catchall substitute for “Jews”, I no longer believe that you are arguing in good faith, but are instead looking for “gotchas”.

11 Likes

I never said anything about going exactly 7 times, like I said, if I go every other day, that is 4 DAYS A WEEK. How hard is that to comprehend?

Week 1 - Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
Week 2 - Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.

8 DAYS IN 2 WEEKS

2 Likes

You are the one who literally linked to a fucking dictionary!

13 Likes

I believe that @Enkita is also Jewish.

1 Like

I dont know about @Enkita but was looking at the “popular culture” section of that wikipedia article

Neither did I. I don’t care how often you go.

I’m not quite sure what this means, but now I have to rethink a discussion we had on another thread a few weeks back about Labour’s antisemitism problem. My family in England is actually Jewish, my aunt’s family German refugees from actual Hitler.

2 Likes

It wasn’t meant to be threatening, only that the way you worded your posts in that thread (eg, relating personal anecdotes) led me to believe I was having a discussion with a British Jew, which colored my response in that I gave more weight to your personal experience.

Did you actually read the paper I cited? It’s published by nih.gov, it is not from some fringe website.

Given the harm that has been done in the past by people who do not understand genetics, I can only say, I regard your comment as misguided.

1 Like

I do not post under my own real name for several (non-evil) reasons, but one of them is that I would prefer people to consider only if they agree or disagree with what I write, not take who I am into account. I’m failing in that currently, I admit. Time to take a deep breath and rethink my manner of posting, I guess.
I tend to assume that everybody’s identity is curated on the Internet, and try to discount it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.