Trump commutes Roger Stone's prison sentence

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/10/roger-stone-commuted.html

9 Likes

As expected.

17 Likes

There should be a law that states that a sitting president cannot commute the sentence of anyone that has impeded any legal proceeding or investigation involving said president’s alleged or proven criminalities and malfeasances.

56 Likes
6 Likes

I’d go even wider. A sitting president shouldn’t be able to commute the sentence of or pardon anyone who has worked for the executive branch. There should be a separate process that the legislature and judiciary get to weigh in on so there’s no chance of favoritism for one’s own people.

54 Likes

I took the law and threw it away
Cause there’s nothing wrong
It’s just for play
There’s no law, no law anymore
I want to steal from the rich and
Give to the poor

• Joey Ramone
7 Likes

Careful Roger - you’re just a loose end as far as Putin is concerned.

29 Likes

Late on a Friday night, too. What bravery.

40 Likes

Trump (and other similarly spineless officials) do things they know are unpopular on a Friday night so that it will recieve less attention. That this still works is yet another on the long list of US journalism failures. The commutation will get less exposure because he did it on a Friday night. Major papers and tv news should not only hammer on it, they should also hammer him on the cowardice of the timing making sure it gets extra coverage

24 Likes

Justice is dead.

12 Likes

9 Likes

Sort of. There was never any doubt that Trump was corrupt and brazen enough to use his pardon powers to further his personal interests, but all his actions involving other people are transactional. He doesn’t pay back favors just because people have been loyal to him, because no amount of loyalty to Trump can buy you loyalty from Trump.

So the question then becomes: what’s in this for Trump? Does he think this commutation will fire up his base, was he worried that Stone might flip on him if he left him out to dry, or is there some third unknown motive?

22 Likes

Wild.

15 Likes

I’d go even wider. A sitting president shouldn’t be able to commute the sentence of or pardon anyone. There that wasn’t so hard was it? What’s the big deal, you want to modify sentencing, go be a judge.

23 Likes

Pardons can be a tool to fix past injustices, especially when there are no other options through the courts. If it wasn’t for this power, Chelsea Manning would still be rotting away in prison. Trump has simply turned his constitutional power into a cudgel to keep his friends out of jail, trigger the left for the lulz, and provide favors for famous people.

34 Likes

Once again…

kidding-me

19 Likes

I figured that Roger Stone would escape prison one way or another but I thought it might involve using a trick umbrella to incapacitate the guards at Gotham Penitentiary.

47 Likes

I like that one better.

5 Likes

The Lincoln Project and other anti-Trump Republican/Conservative sites will be all over this.

6 Likes

If it’s a hoax - I guess they’ll expunge Chelsea Manning’s fines?

12 Likes