Tuesday Afternoon Massacre: More federal prosecutors resign from Roger Stone case, some quit DOJ entirely

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/tuesday-afternoon-massacre-an.html

5 Likes

Trump is toxic to anyone who takes their job seriously or has any of the slightest whiff of professional ethics.

58 Likes

54 Likes

Unfortunately, there are more than enough people who do not to keep this sham up for a while.

36 Likes

Shit-Storm is tRump’s middle name.

21 Likes

Everyone likes to diss lawyers, but it’s somewhat heartening to know that the job really is more than just a paycheck for a lot of people. Professional ethics: they’re still a thing!

Of course it would be a lot MORE heartening if those people were rewarded for standing by their principles instead of punished for doing so.

45 Likes

Couldn’t Trump just commute Stone’s sentence, rather than get Barr to meddle? Wouldn’t that be less messy?

3 Likes

Stone going to prison, but for a short time is better for Trump than a pardon.
A pardon makes Stone fair game for investigations and subpoenas. Things likely to put him back in prison.

23 Likes

Maybe the point isn’t to keep Stone from going to prison, it is to send a message to Federal prosecutors that Trump allies are off limits.

43 Likes

Yes, but are commutation and pardon the same thing, when it comes to investigations and subpoenas?

3 Likes

This whole “Deep state” was supposed to weather the storm. Instead, everyone is quitting in protest. It seems that there is no energy to fight back. Why are people angry, yet so silent about it?

10 Likes

I like how all the official responses talk about this is “highly unusual”.

As if we were not living in an authoritarian regime. Are they only fooling themselves?

24 Likes

If we rule out the worst case national scenario, I think we can be sure that they will find some opportunities for people who do more than talk about ethical principles.

3 Likes

Actually, it’s Jessica.

Spread the word.

4 Likes
17 Likes

Unlike during the The Saturday Night Massacre, I have no faith that the mainstream media will cover this as the “holy FUCK this is fucking CRAZY” level story it is. Instead, they’ll simply both-sides it and our descent will continue, and continue to speed up.

I surely do hope I’m wrong about this. Because holy FUCK this is fucking CRAZY.

39 Likes

not to be a downer, but isn’t this just proof that trump is draining the swamp and ending the deep state?

obvs, in reality it’s opposite land: he’s filling the swamp with his own cronies at all levels of government. but, isn’t this exactly what he’s promised since day one to do?

and is it really a good thing that people of conscious are leaving government? wouldn’t it be better to complain loudly, do work stoppage, and force the government to fire them? ( then turn around and sue the government. )

it wouldn’t do well by their careers but wouldn’t it be the most principled, most effective thing to do?

13 Likes

yea like what do they think this will actually accomplish? corrupt ideological officials won’t gaf at these outbursts. more vacancies to be filled by their ilk. feel like it serves trump’s interests and little else.

1 Like

Gessen’s Rule #3 : Institutions will not save you .

It took Putin a year to take over the Russian media and four years to dismantle its electoral system; the judiciary collapsed unnoticed. The capture of institutions in Turkey has been carried out even faster, by a man once celebrated as the democrat to lead Turkey into the EU. Poland has in less than a year undone half of a quarter century’s accomplishments in building a constitutional democracy.

27 Likes

None of this is good. Given Trump’s capture of the DOJ, it’s possible he was not going to fire them, but reassign them somewhere noxious if they didn’t roll over. Or promote a Trump toady underling as their boss, and then they’d be part of a prosecution that gave Stone a light slap on the wrist.

3 Likes