Trump elected president

Fucking hell how sad is it that this guy makes Dubya look like good times.

17 Likes

Apparently, it’s more important for us to be reminded that we are smug, elitist assholes who actively shit on the white working class… and this is all our fault.

16 Likes
2 Likes

OK? They also elected GOP local officials and senators immediately after voting Obama. Trump is the first TEA Party presidential candidate while Obama was super establishment in 2012 even if people somehow missed it in 2008.

1 Like

You may believe Bernie would have won, but we can argue counterfactual histories all day and that’s all they’ll ever be.

Why don’t you tell me that Bernie polled better than Clinton, on today of all days when the polls failed last night.

Bernie might have won. He might not have. You do not know. And you will never have to find out.

9 Likes

RIGHT?? His résumé also seems so impressive in retrospect. Governor of Texas who served in the National Guard AND had business experience? Wow!

12 Likes

I don’t think you understand my point. It’s time for flakey liberals to learn from this past mistake instead of ignoring it.

It’s called becoming a strong progressive. It’s called evolving as a human being and not repeating mistakes like an idiot.

6 Likes

Well there are a couple of upsides to this:

1.Hillary Clinton’s political career is officially dead. Now less troublesome Democrats get a better shot at power…cough cough Libby Warren cough cough.

1. The Religious Right is officially dead. They managed to elect the first atheist president. Trump couldn’t care less about their agenda and never had any intention on honoring it. Trump’s SCOTUS appointment is likely to be a deregulation fiscal conservative than the second coming of Antonin Scalia. They are replacing one conservative with another. No net loss or gain here.

2. Trump has no history of management of anything. He likes the titles, he likes the spotlight, he likes the money. Actually making decisions, not so much. He will delegate his authority as much as possible.

3. Trump has no history of keeping his word to any of his supporters or investors. All Republicans benefit from free trade agreements and security arrangements even if their constituents don’t. They aren’t going to put forth a bill repealing NAFTA or calling for pulling troops out of Japan, South Korea, Western Europe or Bahrain any time soon.

4. It is just a matter of time before Trump tries to abuse his position for personal financial gain and gets impeached for it.

5. 90% of what Trump promised was either impossible, or unlikely in the face of Democrat fillibustering in Congress.

8 Likes

Does it count as “atheism” if he believes himself to be God?

14 Likes

Breathing… breathing… a moment please to collect ourselves, before we bend to all the tasks that lie before us:

5 Likes

Nobody asked you to argue.

2 Likes

Mussolini wasn’t a bigot either. Fascism and bigotry are different things, don’t trivialize them.

GWB was a by-the-book fascist: controlled media, started wars of aggression, occupied every lever of power he could, abused laws, suppressed voting rights, centralized power on himself, helped corporations against workers, and ran an ideologically-compact party that put his principles (or rather Cheney’s) in practice. That is fascism, pure and simple.

This guy talks a lot, but he doesn’t have the necessary party machinery in place yet. A lot of what he wants to do, is likely unfeasible because of filibustering and court challenges and other stuff that takes more than 4 years. Bill Clinton really wanted to pass a less controversial healthcare reform and he couldn’t do it. GWB had congressional majorities and all the power in the world and still couldn’t and wouldn’t touch Roe v Wade, because it’s technically very hard to do even with all planets aligned. We will see.

The best thing though - this guy can be beaten in 2020 relatively easily - just get a decent candidate.

5 Likes

Sure! Why not?

Now I think its time have a little giggle while we can.

7 Likes

You forgot to add that Bernie would’ve beat trump hands down, that sexism didn’t hinder HRC’s tally in the least, that she should’ve been nicer to people shouting “LOCK HER UP”, that trump won’t be THAT BAD for America, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, that’s a big help, thanks. BTW, what happened to the screed about deleting your account? Oh, wait, it was probably the lazy slacker moderate lib’rul BB staff too busy livin’ it up to do the admin stuff, I suppose. Maybe once they evolve as human beings they’ll be able to take care of that for you.

5 Likes

They are pretty closely linked. And I disagree on your assessment of Mussolini and his government.

This guy talks a lot, but he doesn’t have the necessary party machinery in place yet.

So the supposed silver lining is “Trump embraces fascist ideals, but at least he’s incompetent.”

13 Likes

It’s more of an attempt to explain why they see us as smug, elitist arseholes.

Yes, today is a day of mourning. Different people process this disaster in different ways. Some liberals, progressives and Democrats in this thread are doing so by asking “how could this happen?” Unfortunately, that involves trying to answer the question above, which further involves facing (and perhaps accepting) some harsh truths about ourselves.

If today is not the day for you to do that, it’s perfectly understandable.

5 Likes

What makes you think the filibuster is going to survive in any way, shape or form? The filibuster isn’t a rule, it’s a norm.

3 Likes

Bernie would have lost most of the same states, it would have been closer, but you cannot draw a realistic electoral map anything close to resembling a landslide for Bernie.

It would probably have been 270/268 Trump.

3 Likes

Got it, I’ll shut my trap and continue to let people remind me what a smug, elitist asshole I am.

6 Likes

To misquote the late, great Bill Hicks:

“I’m sick of the polls man, they aren’t funny, quit it! Clinton ahead, clinton ahead, looks like it’s Clinton ahead… F*** YOU! WRONG! DEATH TO YOUR DREAMS AND HOPES!”

6 Likes