Trump elected president

True. Their self-interest is that white Christian American males are entitled to go to the front of the line for jobs that pay a middle class wage whether or not they have an education.

The execution by the person they elected, however, and the actual outcome is another matter: depressingly predictable to the “smug educated coastal elites” they hate so much, but not to them.

It was the same with Brexit: they traded a bunch of bland Continental bureaucrats they were told were “oppressing” them for old-fashioned Tory plutocrat exploiters. All in the name of nationalism and racial superiority. I know it’s an “elitist” thing to say, but they never learn.

7 Likes

Empathy gap. We have a serious empathy gap. @ActionAbe and others are right about the white working class. But the truth is they are lacking empathy for others as well.

10 Likes

True, but they got played. Republicans are not interested in a working class earning a living wage, healthy, or even working. Remember these are the same people who have even turned the military into a job requiring public assistance. So the working class position will continue to slide as regulations protecting them get rolled back, wages get depressed, and more jobs are outsourced. As long as they can blame “government”, illegal aliens, “the ivory tower liberals”, they will continue to vote against their economic interests.

12 Likes

You have said things which have changed my mind! And some say that I am a remarkably opinionated person. So what you do must be working.

12 Likes

Text I just got from my daughter (who is a senior in high school):

“Dad, will you get mad at me if I walk out of class to participate in an anti-trump walkout?”

My heart just grew a size. (P.S. I have been impressed and inspired with nearly every ‘millennial’ I meet. Which is kind of a lot, since I drive cab in a college town. I have a ton of faith in these kids, and a better world is coming along (God forgive us) on, and of, their backs.

32 Likes

You raised that kid right. Good on you.

15 Likes

I say to them, this:

And to quote a much better author:

#All are punished.

9 Likes

Let’s look at the bright side. Alec Baldwin will have steady work for a while.

8 Likes

Are you kidding? That’s HB/SB 1.

ACORN-ing Planned Parenthood is HB/SB 2.

7 Likes

For sure. But I think the options presented were retirement on a diet of cat food or same cat food with a sticker which says “we acknowledge your protest”.

No other option was presented.

4 Likes

And that’s assuming he doesn’t go full dictator and decide to stay longer. Trump aspires to be a world leader in the vein of Putin and Kim Jong Un. Those kinds of guys don’t go away after 4-8 years. They stay in office until they die.

13 Likes

The white working class voted to end the ACA, to nullify past climate agreements, to grant massive tax cuts to billionaires, and for many other policy positions that they perceive as their self-interest, but which are false perceptions built on lies they’ve been told. I’m fine with telling them they’re wrong, because they certainly were lied to and as a result are wrong. As with Brexit, the white working class had no idea what they were doing, and screwed themselves due to their petulance.

18 Likes

Being melodramatic is not going to help. Roe v Wade is technically very, very hard to touch, not even born-again, 9/11 hero, full-engine-on GWB tried. So chances are, it’s not gonna change. Trump is not so stupid to launch a nuclear war - if anything, he’ll be BFF with Putin and outsource more stuff to China. Supremes and all that are a problem regardless, because DEMS CANT WIN CONGRESS, which should be priority n.1.

Of course, we’ve all lived through GWB - but he had 8 years. It helps if the opposition acts as the opposition instead of falling in line with Herr Fuhrer, i.e. actually filibusters a few times. Buy some time, reorganize around a really progressive platform with a credible candidate, and this will be over soon.

6 Likes

Modern conservatives don’t seem to care about political norms.

5 Likes

The very inbred racist pricks who voted him in will be paying the ultimate price in two years when another major recession/depression hits. We all will.

2 Likes

I believe that is the point when we will be sick of winning.

4 Likes

Kind of agree. But which choice would you have recommended for them?

Maybe they are ffed either way. But they weren’t given a viable choice.

Their lives have been getting worse for 40 years. Why would they vote for more?

2 Likes

hint, they’re smug elitist arseholes looking for someone else to carry that water for them.

4 Likes

I’ll come out and say it out loud: This is great news for Britain, I’m so pleased!

Mr Trump has made a lovely promise:

Trump, who is opposed to TTIP – the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership with the EU – has said he is interested in an independent trade deal with the UK as it finds its feet outside Europe.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/09/opinions/will-trump-keep-special-relationship-alive-merrick-opinion/index.html

So it won’t be long until the UK is the USA’s 51st State! Hooray!

Oh but wait - what was that he said about not fighting for European interests? Huh? Wait - no! You can’t say that!

2 Likes

We’ll be seeing more of Rudy and Chris than I was ever hoping to.

8 Likes