Trump falsely says U.S. is doing better than Europe on coronavirus (this is a lie)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/12/trump-falsely-says-u-s-is-doi.html

‘We’re doing incredibly well’ with coronavirus, lied Trump

7 Likes

Let’s face it. The US is doing an amazing job culturing the virus.

35 Likes

We’ve replaced the melting pot with a Petri dish.

EDIT: Also, is this the culture war everyone’s been talking about?

38 Likes

Maybe he’s just been using the word “incredible” in its original literal sense all this time (as in “not credible” or “impossible to believe”).

24 Likes

The culture war has been raging for decades. Unfortunately, the belligerents are the only ones who are aware of it.

6 Likes

Either his head is getting smaller or he is getting fatter? I don’t think I’m imagining this.

6 Likes

He’s not lying! Just go to the Johns Hopkins Covid-tracking site and look at the critical trends.

We are at the top of the charts, bay-bee! Which means we are winning!

/s

10 Likes

I don’t think you are.

I’m not on board with fat-shaming, but this is the man whose BMI is defined by law as always at least one tenth of a point below the medical threshold for obesity.

/s tag, even though what I really intend to convey is tragic irony rather than snark.

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that the BMIs reported for his annual physicals since January 2017 are accurate.

4 Likes

THIS! @apalatn, this will go into my permanent collection of quotes.

3 Likes

Maybe he’s just using David Byrne’s tailor.

suit

12 Likes

When you’re growing up viruses in a Petri dish, it’s not like you can just point at the virus and command it to propagate. You can pour any number of chemicals in there with it to urge it to make copies, but it won’t work. No, you have to use a host medium: bacteria or other cultured cells that the virus can infect, use to replicate, and then kill off.

3 Likes

So you agree that the huge skill of the current administration to get such numbers is incredible.

(Auto correct tried to replace skill with skull above. Not sure it was wrong)

2 Likes

I’m aware viruses can’t self-propagate, but it wouldn’t have made for as punchy a joke to get into that.

3 Likes

I commented because I thought the culture protocol made it an even better joke, but maybe that’s just me.

4 Likes

I think it’s the size of the lies that matter, not the size of the liar. That said though, I have noticed that our duly elected President has started occasionally yanking on his lapel, which for me brings forth a satisfying image of a sweaty Rodney Dangerfield nervously tugging at his collar. But after your comment it occurred to me that the lapel yank is a classic a-little-big-for-my-clothes maneuver. I’m gonna hang on to the Rodney D imagery though as it pleases me.

1 Like

The US is currently 10th in per capita COVID deaths. There are European countries worse than this: Italy, Spain, Belgium and Sweden. And the UK if you care to count it. The difference is that these countries were hit early. The US had time to respond like Canada (currently 25th) but chose not to. And unlike those European countries, the US numbers haven’t yet flattened.

4 Likes

Meanwhile he has found something important to talk about

4 Likes

Yeah. Italy and Spain get something of a pass. They were the countries in the west that alerted us to the horror of it getting out of control and where the virus spread from to the rest of the North/West.

All the rest of us fucked up for ourselves. And here comes the second wave with localised lockdowns becoming prevalent. We learnt how neoliberalism gutted our health system and fostered unsafe practices in the first. Now we are going to learn that neoliberal labour practices are unhealthy as well as immoral.

Ireland now has outbreaks in meat plants. The beef industry: killing people for the few to get wealthy ever since Táin Bó Cúailnge.

5 Likes

Today on “When technicians ruin jokes”

:smile:

Must be correct. Avatar checks out.