Trump is apparently still terrified about financial conflicts so now he's tweeting about flag-burning and CNN

I realize that the narrative is that he’s using this to distract, but maybe we should just take him seriously when he says he’ll prosecute and imprison protestors and violate the First Amendment.

25 Likes

He doesn’t seem especially concerned about all those people burning crosses.

28 Likes

You know, we can all just ignore his Twitter feed.

6 Likes

Are you trying to eliminate Beschizza’s job?

12 Likes

This is the President Elect openly discussing imprisoning protestors. I think it’d be a good idea to pay very, very careful attention.

34 Likes

15 Likes
29 Likes

Well, I think “strict constitutionalist” means “Republican ideologue who doesn’t care what the law says,” so flag burning might be on the way out. Of course it’s still a non-story unless there’s a massive new flag burning trend I’m unaware of.

Trump is good at manipulating the media just like Slime Mold is good at designing rail systems. Turns out nothing resembling intelligence is required.

Plus I think “smart” actually means “sexually attractive” when most people use it.

Maybe the scariest part is that he seems to think that loss of citizenship and a year in jail are about equivalent.

30 Likes

Aside from the distraction effect, one goal of the latest tweet may be to encourage Trump’s opponents to burn the flag (and video themselves doing it) so that Trump can say “Look how much these people hate the USA!”

So instead of burning the flag, a better protest might be to burn some of those “Make America Great Again” hats. And if you don’t like paying the Trump Organization and their Chinese suppliers for a hat to burn, you can probably find some cheap at yard sales, or steal one from your racist uncle’s basement or something.

22 Likes

I also thought that I’d bump up a resource on Trump that someone else posted somewhere in all these discussions. I’ve been catching up on the podcasts there. This is some of the better information out there about him.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/trumpcast.html

This one on his data operation is particularly scary as it shows how he can have influence long after his 4 years are up

5 Likes

You’re looking at far too much forethought.

He DOESNT EVEN NEED THIS to dominate the media.

3 Likes

According to Cracked (#1 on this list), Disney circumvents regulations on the display of American flags by cleverly not using American flags.

But then, perhaps diverting the discussion to flag-burning is precisely what we should not be doing.

Anyway, are there no stories about the Electoral College anymore? Can they not issue some kind of ultimatum along the lines of “divest now or you can’t be President”? You would think there would be calls to bury them in a deluge of postal mail, or at least the usual doxxing and death threats (since that’s the world we live in now, apparently).

11 Likes

I guess molesting the flag is okay:

21 Likes

Burning flag: not okay. Grabbing flag by the pussy: A-OK.

28 Likes

What kind of flags do you have, because I want one.

7 Likes

That’s implying that he has the ability (or desire) to read or understand anything. He is accustomed to just paying someone else to do everything for him…

15 Likes

Am I the only one who didn’t know who you’re talking about and had to go look him up?

As this fellow was not among the Google results, I presume you weren’t referring to him, but man was I puzzled…

“Chumlee? What the hell did he do?!”

13 Likes

Chumlee is the designated “moron” on Pawn Stars whose popularity with certain demographics that may or may not overlap with Trump’s own led to him playing up the “lazy and stupid everyman” personality trait while he led the business of selling merchandise about himself to his diehard fans. Recently, he was given probation for a large cache of unregistered firearms and drugs pretty much because he was famous, white, and has a little coin to give a legal defense.

6 Likes

Trump was just watching Fox News. He isn’t some Machiavellian genius manipulating the media. He’s an idiot with poor impulse control.

30 Likes

That’s what I’m saying he’s a moron who is capable of seeing his name in the news and connected the very easy to connect dots of “if I am loud enough and moronic enough people will give me free advertising” and has funded a sizable industry around the name alone using every new bottom-of-the-barrel media to spread his name around. Tabloids, FM talk radio, reality TV, Twitter, etc are all free advertising to put his name out there into the world and aparantly enough other dumb people with money equate that with paying for advertising to reach the same number of eyes.

2 Likes