Trump tweets imaginary law that doesn't exist to threaten protesters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/27/trump-tweets-imaginary-law-tha.html

7 Likes

It exists in his head…

33 Likes

Right. Now cue the masses of supporters/pundits saying, “Well, obviously he meant the xyz law, which applies. If you look at it through a prism.”

31 Likes

$50,000 in grafitti “damage” done to Fed bldg in PDX. That’s the price of a low end Lexis.

If someone totals you poor man’s Mercedes, you call Geico - you don’t set fire to the Constitution.

34 Likes

He was being sarcastic. /s

21 Likes

I sometimes wonder if he thinks that simply saying something as president makes it real. Like, does he think he can just tweet a new law and it pops into existence? Or is his thinking some fuzzy idea that he decides how law is interpreted and this is a form of memo? While trying to figure out the methods of some people’s thinking is difficult and tiring I could do this all day… it’s just reductive stupidity.

21 Likes

Well, it doesn’t not NOT exist, right?

5 Likes

I don’t wonder. I think that is what he believes

14 Likes

My face when I suddenly realize Trump now exists solely to provide Ruben Bolling with material for Calvin and Hobbes parodies…

21 Likes

Every day, several times a day really, I mumble to myself, “what an asshole.” 99 days. Can we just make it 99 days…

16 Likes

12 Likes

Unfortunately, so does Barr and John Yoo.

10 Likes

That is the basis of his entire “the emperor has no clothes” existence. If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes accepted as truth.

14 Likes

You can remove “as president” and that’s still true. That’s what he’s spent his entire life doing. And it has, on the whole, worked for him.

22 Likes

178 days - Assuming he leaves without burning the place down. It’s those days between 99 and 178 that I worry about the most.

22 Likes

Let’s see - statues vs actual human lives…sorry, I’m gonna have to go with human lives.

16 Likes

15 Likes

and 1.2 million raised by a single bail fund so far. i’m sure if portland’s city council agreed to cut police funding by 50% over the next x years while ramping up community programs – people would be happy to chip in to cover the damage, and chip in to do the labor.

unless you’ve been looking for an excuse to do so since day 1.

19 Likes

His followers do love re-enacting.

17 Likes

Everybody should know by now that the pigs are allowed to lie about what the law is (and pretty much everything else), right?

6 Likes