Trump malware to infect every US phone on Wednesday

New phone who dis?

15 Likes

So if I’m reading correctly, airplane mode will block it?

(It should be noted you can turn on wifi while in airplane mode. I do this often since my close friends all know to use Signal to contact me)

5 Likes

I smell a class action

1 Like

As no American has had a Presidential Alert test on their phone it remains to be seen that their phones will receive the alert in other countries, or that GPS Location Spoofing will work. I’ll try one.

3 Likes

Can you imagine if an actual actionable alert happened while you were in mid air?

“Turn this plane around!!”

2 Likes

Not impossible, but not actually worth worrying about, unless you really enjoy being paranoid about every damn little thing. And I know some of you do.

4 Likes

If that didn’t scare you bad enough listen to Terri Gross’s interview with Michael Lewis from today…Holy Shit I’m scared and beyond pissed at the rightwing trumpoids

5 Likes

You know, you’re right. The more I think about it, the harder it is to think of even one single reason why I shouldn’t trust Trump and his minions.

Thanks for the pick me up!

23 Likes

Not a single reason. A plurality of reasons on the other hand…

16 Likes

Milliefink if I ever go for a PhD in Snark will you be my mentor…You do it beautifully

15 Likes

22 Likes

Can this system be used locally, or is it just for nationwide alerts?

I think Trump will make an attempt to use this as an extension of his Twitter endeavors, but that’s completely prohibited by the regulations that govern this. Will the bureaucracy be able to stop him?

Also, weren’t they talking about a West Wing reality show? Did nothing come of that?

So many questions.

1 Like

Some feel the regulations are too vague.

11 Likes

FYI

“Beyond the wireless alerts, a test alert will also go out via radio and television broadcast, cable systems, satellite radio, television providers, and wireline video.” -Vox

Good day to walk off the grid I’d say.

13 Likes

Surely I’m not the only one who’s hearing a voice saying, No worries, we just want to make sure we’ll be able to let you know ASAP when Reichstag Fire 2 starts happening!

20 Likes
10 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen! Rupert Pupkin! Wonderful!

1 Like

As far as I can tell, in LineageOS, one can entirely switch off emergency alerts.

1 Like

We have a mess of anti-static mylar baggies from motherboards and other electrical components. I’ve never had cause to put my phone in one yet, but after turning it off, tomorrow may be the day.

6 Likes

Can we call back?

17 Likes