Trump offered Assange pardon in exchange for covering up Russian DNC hack, says lawyer

Anyone banging in the drum “Assange was never charged!” is making grossly misleading statements and should therefore be ignored.

In common-law systems like the UK and the US a suspect has a preliminary investigation followed by an indictment followed by more investigation followed by the actual trial. In Sweden there is a full investigation followed by indictment followed by immediate trial. So while Assange had not been formally charged, Sweden’s attempt to extradict him was part of the procress of formally charging and trying him; extraditions like that happen to normal people all the time.

Furtherore, in Sweden a suspect is informed of the government’s intent to charge at a questioning session, and the trial is required to start about two weeks afterward. With that criminal procedure you can see why Sweden wasn’t too keen on questioning Assange while he was in absentia, as it defeated the actual point of starting the trial process.

11 Likes

Did you even read the interview with the U.N. Special Rapporteur on Torture? He has read all the court documents in their original Swedish and states quite unequivocally that Assange has been railroaded by an unjust process every step of the way. Why do you believe otherwise?

4 Likes

And Assange turned him down?

7 Likes

RemoteContentFinnishspitz-max-1mb

11 Likes

That’s not how journalism and whistleblowing work. You publish what you get. Assange has stated that he would have published info on Trump if he had gotten it, and he is on record trying to convince Donald Trump, Jr. to leak his father’s tax returns to Wikileaks.

I’m not sure why you would believe (without any evidence whatsoever) that Assange suppressed info on a candidate he described as “cholera” when he famously described the choice between Trump and Hillary as a choice between “cholera or gonorrhea.” Worth noting that Wikileaks HAS published a great deal of leaked info about Russia, contrary to those who would believe he’s some kind of Russia-coddling asset.

6 Likes

Because they lead with obvious lying bullshit of “Assange has NEVER been charged”? If a UN special report on meterology starts by stating the sky is orange I am not going to waste my time reading the rest if it.

3 Likes

There is a lot of supposition on the part of the reporter in that piece, and, miraculously, it all leans in Assange’s favor.

9 Likes

Well, yeah, that’s part of the disinformation campaign he was a part of. Russia hacks the Democrats and Republicans, and only gives Assange the files on Clinton, which Assange was more than happy to publish given his personal hatred of Clinton. It strains credulity to believe that Assange, if he had any interest to do so, would be unable to obtain financial records, undisclosed NDA’s about affairs, bribes, or a hundred other topics Trump has kept buried, and yet, he didn’t. Curious, that.

Indeed, he has said a lot things about what he would have done in the hypothetical. But what did he do in reality? In reality, he insinuated that Seth Rich was his source on the DNC documents, thus fueling the worst of the worst of the conspiracy theories in order to cover up the fact that he was either a useful idiot for Russian intelligence or an active agent.

10 Likes

I don’t understand.

Doesn’t Assange already deny that his source for the DNC datadump was from Russians?

Yes. The Russians did it. And yes Assange already falsely denies the Russians did it. I just dont understand what “the story” is. Hasn’t Assange already “covered it up”? What more would he, or could he, be doing to get this alleged pardon?

1 Like

If ⊥rump killed and ate a human infant on live television, Senate Republicans would find a way to blame it on Hillary Clinton.

13 Likes

I believe he’s an asshole:

11 Likes

and why would Donald Trump Jr leak the tax returns? That’s sort of akin to asking Betsy Devos to condemn student loan profiteering.

4 Likes

Hey, I’ve tried to get his tax returns! I asked his son, his third grade teacher, and a pigeon that hangs out downtown in front of his accountant’s building. What else could I do!?

4 Likes

could care less about Assange though not comfortable with so-called democracies making him disappear forever into a hole

but far more importantly where is Chelsea Manning these days, they still have her locked up for no reason? let’s hope no-one whispers her name to Trump on fox and he has Barr make her disappear

what the hell has happened to this country

3 Likes

The racists won.

2 Likes

Not yet, they haven’t.

25 Likes

This round. Fight’s not over.

2 Likes

So is Wikileaks the only conduit in the world for leaking repug dirt?

The only reason Wikileaks exists is that the corporate media are not whistleblower friendly.

4 Likes

Assange lawyer: Trump offered WikiLeaker a pardon in exchange for denying Russia hacked Democrats’ email

2 Likes

So why isn’t there be-torched and be-pitchforked mob there, RIGHT NOW?

2 Likes