Trump radicalized teachers, now Republicans are saying they won't vote for the party anymore

I beg to differ…if I can poke holes in all of the major party platforms just by relying on Economics 101 (which I actually did take) and counting on my toes, then they’re all coasting on bad math and emotionalism.

3 Likes

Which is what they accuse progressive faculty in universities of doing, and why they don’t want people attending them. Santorum and Huckabee have both said this explicitly.

8 Likes

Maybe DeVos can get her rear end out there and save the day…

Then again, maybe not!

2 Likes

Poking holes in a party’s platform is one thing, having the mathematical ability to see that the trickle-down/deregulate-all-the-things economic philosophy that’s been pushed as core gospel by one of those parties for 35 years makes no sense is quite another. At least the Dems change it up now and then and provide a challenge to the educated voter.

8 Likes

If they really wanted the opposition to remain ignorant, maybe they should encourage lefties to attend colleges that put indoctrination over academic excellence. Here’s the endgame of why I went to school out of state:

Ward Churchill of CU-Boulder

Projection is a helluva drug. They’re all for the kind of indoctrination that Scumbag Jr. is pushing at his “school”:

12 Likes

I’m out! I’m going back to watching the gorilla mom lick her baby.

2 Likes

To put it more fancifully, one party’s math may be flawed because it’s inaccurately calculated pay-fors and tax rates, which can be fixed through better math and higher education. The other’s math is flawed because you’re not believing in the magical tax cut fairy hard enough, dammit!

13 Likes

Ah, lovely - instead of the usual Republican FYIGM sentiment, it’s “Let me get mine back, but still F you to everyone else.”

Greaaat.

5 Likes

Sounds about right…

4 Likes

Teachers have strongly leaned Democratic for years. Here’s (part of) a graphic based on FEC data. Blue=Democrat, Red=Republican:

11 Likes

There’s no single reason. Some people are similar to Ron Swanson – they don’t mind being public servants, because they can spread the gospel of libertarianism and self-reliance to a new generation of students, or they can provide a “much needed” balance to rampant elitism and liberalism, or they can kill the beast from the inside (not during their career, mind you, it’s important the beast die after they retire). A few people I’ve known over the years have a pure “Atlas Shrugged” selfishness going. They’re opposed to public schools and actively vote against them, but hey, as long as those things exist, they’re going to take as much advantage of it as they possibly can.

I’m a librarian at a community college. These are things my conservative co-workers and colleagues have shared with me over the years.

12 Likes

but "conservative values’ are…none of those things.

3 Likes

It’s not just “Tax cuts always pay for themselves”. It’s also, “Eliminating regulations won’t harm the public because businesses will always do the right thing”. It’s, “Giving more money to public schools is wasteful because all the teachers are communists and test scores are low”. It’s “We need to fight poor Muslims overseas so we don’t have to fight them here”. It’s “If we don’t spend hundreds of billions on defense, the hordes will invade”. It’s “If we don’t make guns available to crazy people, the government will become a dictatorship”.

11 Likes

The thing is, they consider the public schools to be way the hell too liberal.

They want teachers leading prayer every morning (Protestant Christian prayer, of course, everything else is demon worship).

They want the schools to teach Creationism and deprecate Evolution, because it’s only a theory.

The only Sex-ed they want is “DON’T DO IT!”

They want the Bible to be the go-to “literature” source book.

Basically, they would be happy to fund public schools, as long as those public schools looked exactly like the kind of church affiliated private school you find at the affluent mega-churches.

17 Likes

“WHAT is truth?” --Pontius Pilate

The Republican Party has become purely the party of shit heads. Unfortunately, the Democrat Party isn’t much better. The two party system is a fraud; it presents the voters with no real choice.

1 Like

Wait… was that a single experiment? Can’t just leave that hanging there.

8 Likes

In my senior year, I had taken the few extra classes they offer in chemistry, and one of the projects was supposed to be designing and conducting an experiment on your own. I proposed taking some relatively short half-life radioactive isotope and using it to make LSD radioactive. Then inject it into a rat, wait a few minutes, then kill the rat and dissect the rats brain and other organs to find out which part the LSD concentrated in. I even offered to get the acid, but he said…ya know. In the late 60s not much was known about acid and how it affected the body. I was just … trying to learn more, ya that’s it. “purple haze, is in my brain…”

8 Likes

Wow. High school really changed by the Reagan years :frowning_face:

7 Likes