Trump to rob Homeland Security of $270M, including $155M in FEMA disaster relief, to pay for migrant detention

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/27/trump-robs-homeland-security-o.html

1 Like

Money will also reportedly be taken away from the budget for planned upgrades to the National Cybersecurity Protection System…

well DUH, those votes aren’t going to get hacked by themselves, comrade!

21 Likes

Anticipating at least one comment…

24 Likes

Word is around here in the DC area is they don’t even have space for people to work in and are relying on telecommuters and partial work weeks in most cases.

At least for some parts of HLS.

Money is going elsewhere.

6 Likes

This may also be an indicator of the strain.

8 Likes

The Framers clearly gave the power of the purse to the executive branch.

14 Likes

How else are Trump’s migrant detention center owner buddies going to afford those additional yachts?

14 Likes

This should be interesting the next time a hurricane hits the South, and people file claims with FEMA only to find out that there is no money, because it’s going to imprisoning people indefinitely.

Christ I couldn’t create a future this laughably dark if I tried

12 Likes

And by saying “to fund ICE”, of course that means “to put in his friends’, family’s, and donors’ pockets”.

In an unrelated story, the stocks of companies hired to run the camps are skyrocketing. I wonder who invested in those…

13 Likes

And hurricane season is kicking off in the Atlantic.

2 Likes

All while accusing congresspeople who are hesitant to give ICE more funding of being the real reason the government hasn’t been able to provide imprisoned children with blankets or soap.

8 Likes

From what I’ve seen, there’s full support for this in Trump circles. They blame liberals for it being necessary but no hardship is too difficult if it means persecuting “illegals”.

My god, they’ll probably cancel Medicare and Social Security using the logic that the funds need to be diverted for the wall before too long, and see if Trump supporters don’t cheer for it all the way to their slow and painful deaths.

9 Likes

I wish biblical plague would take these idiots and leave the rest of us here

They are literally killing people by doing this. They are torturing people, imprisoning children as they do this and it will lead to people dying.

As far as I’m concerned anyone that supports this man isn’t human anymore. They are corrupted sacks of brain cells

7 Likes

Serious question: Can anyone recall something that this orange buffoon has done in office, or before, for that matter, that made them think, “Oh, that was a cool, selfless thing to do.”.

Maybe this is easier. Something he did that did that didn’t make you think, “What a dick!”

5 Likes

It’s a twofer: they get to hurt America and hurt migrants!

2 Likes

He’s even offering pardons to aides who help fast track wall building, legal or not.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-pardon-law-breaking-aides-washington-post_n_5d65eabce4b063c341f76ced

10 Likes

A couple years ago, I read that under Obama both DOJ and DHS were reducing their use of private “detention facilities”, with the goal of eliminating them entirely. No more private prisons for the feds. Too much abuse in locking people up for profit.

Under this administration, they’re baaaaack. Bigly.

Worst. Administration. Ever.

7 Likes

I suppose there are some brain cells in the mix, but I doubt any two of them are in contact with one another.

2 Likes

Pity his time isn’t occupied by fighting off an impeachment effort.

5 Likes

Everything bad that Obama adminstration was doing, Trump has been continuing and making worse; anything good that Obama administration did, Trump has been ending, defunding, turning back and ruining as much as he’s been able to.

Trump and everything to do with him are a blight, a canker sore eating into America.

8 Likes