Trump says Green New Deal 'A hoax like the hoax I just went through,' disses wind energy technology

Safety goggles off, motherfuckers.

15 Likes

38 Likes

Well, it looks like the author of the article just volunteered to have all that radioactive waste buried under his house. Good, France keeps seeing them darn protestors what don’t want the waste near their homes.

Meanwhile, His Majesty, King of the World And The Known Universe Emmanuel Macron sold the hydroelectric dams to the private sector. (Yay, Europe… When do we get rid of those corrupt politicians, again?)

4 Likes

I’m going to say: his followers. Trump is just a dumb AI routine in a meatsuit, doing and saying random things until he gets positive feedback, then doubling down on that. His followers knew that and still put him in power, because they’re assholes.

For me, what he’s exposed is that America isn’t salvageable.

And the most (blatantly) corrupt and criminal, too. He’s like all previous presidential scandals rolled into one.

His followers don’t want something complicated, though, that they might have to think about. They want dumb explanations, even if they don’t make sense.

Shit, most of the “liberal” Democrats are whatever the moderate Republicans were a few decades ago.

12 Likes

Were the Republicans and President Biff to have their way, the USA would soon be an economic backwater, less important than Brazil or Mexico in the future. Nice job you did putting these clowns in charge, fellas.

Editing to add that I don’t even get what he means with “like the hoax I just went through”. Does he mean the Mueller investigation? Is President Biff still scared of that?

4 Likes

Here’s hoping that he never got his shingles vaccination.

16 Likes

I’d say the biggest assholes are not so much is (ill informed) followers. The biggest assholes are his puppeteers. I.E. the evil masterminds of the last decades: The republican party neo-con leadership.The non-stop evil scheming of the neo-cons is imho what got the U.S. in the trouble it is now. Though I have the feeling the current situation is not exactly what they aimed for with their scheming and brainwashing, they still are responsible for the mess.

11 Likes

I am certain there are at least some people out there who (a) actually work in a coal mine and (b) think Turmp is a piece of shit. Let’s not take his word for it that the people wearing hard hats at his shows are coal miners. Anyway – to be blunt – coal miners are one of the most irrelevant groups of people you could think of in any political or economic sense. To even have an opinion on “coal miners” is to let America’s Worst Person lead you around by a ring through the nose.

I’m genuinely curious to know how much waste you think the world’s existing nuclear power plants produce, and where it is right now.

The point about nuclear power is serious. Are we just pretending to believe in climate change as a tactic to get more wind and solar farms built, or is the goal to reduce emissions? If the latter, then the numbers point towards doing a 180 on nuclear power, and just playing spooky music over the words “nuclear power” is not an adequate counterargument.

9 Likes

I’d more interesting in knowing where Germany is supposed to get the nuclear fuel from?

There is some uranium but it’s over in the east and the area’s pretty contaminated thanks to the GDR’s (lack of) environmental policies.

Swapping a reliance on Russian gas for a reliance on US or maybe Canadian nuclear materials doesn’t seem a great swap on a long term geo-political view.

3 Likes

Would you mind telling us where he said that? I can’t believe I missed it.

He’s “joked” about it for sure.

6 Likes

Trump is ranked below William Henry Harrison in the two current polls, which says everything you need to know.

8 Likes

Uranium ore is essentially a freely-available commodity, and quite a few countries have some capacity to enrich uranium to create (one type of) nuclear fuel. I believe all countries with nuclear weapons have some amount of “breeder” reactor capacity, meaning they can produce new fuel from non-fissile isotopes; that is necessary to produce plutonium bombs, but the same technology can be used to produce commercial fuel (with the added benefit of reducing problematic trans-uranic waste, potentially to zero). The UK nuclear industry in particular was set up with the intention of supplying fuel to other countries.

Anyhow, depending on foreign nuclear fuel is nothing like depending on foreign gas. If Germany bought a few sacks of plutonium from Russia, they could run their nuclear plants off it for years (or indefinitely, if they themselves built a fuel-reprocessing setup); it wouldn’t give Russia the power to turn off Germany’s lights at a day’s notice.

That’s kind of the whole point about nuclear power; the amount of material that enters and leaves a nuclear plant in a year is the amount that goes through a hydrocarbon plant in an hour.

6 Likes

Don’t worry…if the wind doesn’t blow, the windmills can run off the daily wisdom blowing out of Trump’s ass. You’ll still have your TV.

3 Likes

In France, the waste is currently stockpiled in several places, mostly overground, with a current project for an underground project around Bure, in the east of the country.
We do have stuff all over the place, ranging from old mines to what remains of some weapons manufacturing. And, of course, from electricity production. Certainly, some are “minor”, and some have shortish half-lives, but that’s an awful lot of places.
https://reporterre.net/Carte-des-matieres-et-dechets-radioactifs

According to the government agency in charge of managing nuclear waste, said waste represented about 1 540 000 cubic metres in 2016, up 85 000 since 2013. Official litterature :

5 Likes

Germany pointedly not being one of those. They did have a test breeder reactor but it shut down years ago.

Granted. But if your long-term aim is to not be dependent on anyone for your energy needs, the one is as bad as the other.

You also have the fundamental problem which, as far as I am aware, no one has yet solved - what do you do with the waste?

It’s all very well saying, it has less carbon emissions. But there are fairly significant issues with nuclear too.

I’ll take your point that if we think carbon emissions need to come down to avoid catastrophic climate change, then any long-term thinking that doesn’t involve nuclear is probably irrelevant.

4 Likes

Maybe somebody from Russia could take care of him for us.

Yet with solar, wind, geothermal, and hydro electric you have zero waste, no possibility of contamination no worries about dangerous materials with half lives of 15 million years, infinite sustainability, and you don’t leave cleanup nightmares for future generations to deal with. Nuclear had its day. It’s time to walk away and focus on future energy sources instead of the nuclear waste and dangers the old guard have told us is “fine, just fine”.

Funny, I have exaclty the opposite view. Any long term thinking about energy that produces any sort of toxic waste product is definitely irrelevant. It’s kind of a “been there, done that, didn’t work” situation.

3 Likes

Yeah, what the hell Chuck?

I believe @mangochin just said no to that.

4 Likes

Well, I agree with you but I can understand those who take the view that getting to have the problem of what to do with the waste long term would be a net improvement on our current outlook.

1 Like

Does Trump think America is a character from a 1950s sitcom or something?

4 Likes