Trump says he'll ban Tik Tok

Took me a minute

1 Like

Probably none. Is there evidence that anyone was dissuaded from going by Tik Tok? It seems unlikely. They gave an inflated view of the potential attendance. They didn’t reduce it.

Heads up to any CEOs that blow kisses to Trump. Xi is deciding which U.S. company to retaliate against, and you just made the short list.

so while we are mocking him which is a pretty lame response to all the damage he has done, if you haven’t heard, someone whispers in his empty head the idea to just sue 25-35 states over the election results (ala Gore but on steroids) and tie up the decision well into/past 2021

it most definitely will happen and the courts will tie it up because MoscowMitch has placed all their people everywhere the past few years

the left won’t be able to do a damn thing because they have to respect the legal process, it’s going to be insanity

welcome to hell

3 Likes

Baloney. You can’t draw it out past Jan 20th. You do and IIRC Pelosi would be the President. That’s the “legal process”.

It is hard coded in the Constitution.

4 Likes

You are assuming an administration abides by the law.

10 Likes

I think beyond the revenge against the Tik Tok kids and an anti-Chinese narrative this is also a not-so-subtle warning to the other companies. What’s to keep him from banning Facebook or Amazon? The threat is there. I don’t think he has the legal authority to ban any app anyway (foreign or domestic) but legality is a trifle that’s never stopped him before.

This is also projection. Whatever data Tik Tok can slurp away is what Facebook, Google and Microsoft already send to the NSA.

3 Likes
1 Like

But all those TikTok users will get on the Trump Train

5 Likes

Now we will see if Trump will put up or shut up, I suppose…

3 Likes

someone who’s actually read Baum?

1 Like

The other poster was saying the Democrats wouldn’t do anything because they would let the legal process play out.

The legal process would be if no one has been declared the winner, that the sitting president is out on Jan 20th, and the new one put in.

Sure, Trump could try a coup of sorts, but I honestly don’t think the people who work and run the government - and military - would let him.

2 Likes

Trump, “I’m not leaving and no one can make me!”

[Secret Service personnel look over the top of their mirror shades at him]

4 Likes

it seems to be sunday now, and the app’s working just fine on my partner’s phone. time to file this under “things trump promises to do but absolutely has no intention of bothering with” – just like fixing healthcare, building a wall, and making america great again?

6 Likes

Hey now, he’s building a wall… well, a very tall fence… I mean, it keeps falling over when the wind blows, but still, it is a somewhat barrier between the countries that will make it sometimes perhaps inconvenient to cross over maybe a little.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m pretty confident that Trump could not hold on to power in that way. As much as we like to Hitlerize him, he is no Hitler and this is not post WWI Germany. He does not have control of an elite military force that is basically subservient to him.

Microsoft has confirmed it is considering the purchase of made-in-China social network TikTok and that its CEO Satya Nadella has spoken with US president Donald Trump to re-assure him about the security and taxation implications of the putative purchase.

Microsoft has been rumoured to be courting TikTok for the last week, but Trump told reporters that he intended to ban the app and prevent its sale to a US company for reasons he did not fully explain.

Now Microsoft has used its official corporate blog to reveal that “Following a conversation between Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and President Donald J. Trump, Microsoft is prepared to continue discussions to explore a purchase of TikTok in the United States.” And in Canada, New Zealand and Australia, too.

2 Likes

This seems like a gift to Microsoft or am I reading this incorrectly?

“Be wary of Trumps bearing gifts.”

6 Likes

Whether or not it was intentional from the beginning it sure looks like Trump is injecting himself in the negotiations.

I’m pretty sure these negotiations have been going on since before his announcement, so… - is Trump trying to manipulate the price? Is Microsoft going to kick a piece back to him or his family? Is this just yet another grift?

2 Likes