Trump so befuddled on health insurance, he thinks it costs $1 a month when you're 21

He isn’t that far off.

4 Likes

Maybe he’s confusing health insurance with rent-to-own furniture?

9 Likes

You know whats even worse than that? This country looks to rich people for guidance, simply because they are wealthy, who are more out of the loop than in other class in history.

10 Likes

If he is speaking authoritatively and conclusively, like everything he speaks about, about subjects he literally has no clue, that is the definition of being a moron. It worse than a moron, a moron would at least they don’t know and keep their damn mouth shut.

8 Likes

Okeydoke. Not interested in a semantics discussion when it comes to the President. If you say he’s a moron, he’s a moron.

3 Likes

I believe the $12 plan looks like this:

6 Likes

Bingo! Specifically, I’m told it’s the "Gerber Life Plan,” which used to be heavily advertised. Apparently they do (or did) advertise that people can get life insurance for a little as one dollar a month. This is obviously the source of Trump’s comments. He’s made other comments that indicated his information sources were misunderstood snippets of cable news, but this is the first that I know of that indicates his knowledge of the world is based on a misunderstood TV commercial. Given the amount of cable news he watches, he’s clearly seen the ad thousands of times, enough to burrow deep into his mind, but without any understanding what it’s about, much less critically appraising the information. It’s deeply disturbing. Though I like that he followed it up with comments about how he’s always said health insurance is complicated (when he was saying the opposite) and people have been acknowledging how much he now knows on the subject, which is a lot!

He seems to have confused “greatest” with “most disturbing,” at least if any of the commentary I’ve read on that speech represents all his “enemies.”

12 Likes

The weird thing in this case isn’t the cluelessness; but the structure of it:

Believing that insurance costs some hundreds of dollars a month; but who cares because that’s what a meal with decent drinks also costs, right? is out of touch. Believing that insurance costs $1 is further divorced from reality than your average conspiracy theory.

9 Likes

FANTASYLAND

where the tweets run free, education and medicine are strictly for profit, and all assholes can roam unreconstructed.

6 Likes

Not sure of the price, but if you watch cheap-ass broadcast TV channels you can still catch ads for Gerber-branded life insurance. It is made out to be a great investment to give 'protection" to your little tot, never actually calling it life insurance.

My father told me about a life insurance policy his mother subscribed to; the company actually sent around a guy to collect QUARTERS; that was the premium. (And that sometimes grandma had my father answer the door while she hid behind some drapes so could delay payment for a day or two.) If they did that once a week, that’s the $12 a year Trump was talking about.

(And YES, grandma kept paying that policy for maybe 40 years, and my father and aunts split $5,000 when she died in '83.)

10 Likes
4 Likes

Same here. For me and my family, that is.

And I’m pre-existing up the wazoo. If I get put in a high-risk pool, I am screwed.

4 Likes

It really doesn’t work like life insurance because health insurance premiums and coverage changes each year and there is no cash value. Plus, life insurance pays even if you die “out of network”. At this point, health insurers are pretty much purchasing organizations that spend most of their energy driving down reimbursement rates.

1 Like

“Masquerading as some sort of insurance” is probably more accurate at this point. If it is still a dollar a month, I really can’t imagine it actually pays anything out these days…

1 Like

Yes - ours is for our family as well. It is crazy. We started buying our own insurance in 1994, and we spent $275 per month and I felt like that was a lot. Not much else has gone up 500% since then.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, much as I love his early work, Mr Cleese in my view falls pretty squarely in that bracket himself.

2 Likes

“Incurious” SOUNDS nicer, but it means that his stunning levels of ignorance is due to his own disinterest in learning anything rather than circumstance.

2 Likes

You know, if you get sick you could fly business class to Australia and pay cash for hospital treatment. You don’t get the benefit of our medicare system but its still more cost effective I would think. Maybe you could do the same in Canada or Mexico.

3 Likes

So… if not an utter moron, then maybe arrogant, bloviating, ignoramus :question:

:confused:

3 Likes

Well … wages for the elite have risen almost that much in that period.

4 Likes