Trump supporters can legally be kicked out of bars, NYC judge rules

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/26/trump-supporters-can-legally-b.html

11 Likes

This sword cuts both ways…

25 Likes

46 Likes

I have a problem with people being thrown out of bars for wearing Trump hats. They should be given an equal chance at getting plastered in the bar then getting rolled in the bar’s alleyway.

35 Likes

Can we kick them out of the country?? oh, wait…

8 Likes

Way to bury the lede. The bar presented evidence that Piatek was served, to the tune of 182 dollars, and left a 20% tip on top!

What a heap of lies. Piatek actually claimed in court that the hat represented his spiritual beliefs, and tried to run that BS on, alleging it was a creed of one person with no specific faith-based beliefs.

In short, Piatek is just a publicity whore.

27 Likes

A calculus exits since time immemorial, you smaller than the bouncer, you’re going bye bye, especially if you’re an asshole.

10 Likes

Now let’s see Trump lawyers get legally kicked out of the bar…

16 Likes

I can kind of see the religion argument. I imagine it takes a great deal of faith to believe that Trump is making America great.

38 Likes

I’m glad to hear you had a problem with this, regardless of political views. I’d be interested to see what would be the reaction if a woman just wearing an ‘I’m with her’ shirt got kicked out of a bar. Nothing in the article here says that the person wearing the hat actually did something to get kicked out. And yes, political affiliation is not a protected class. Maybe it should be? Wouldn’t that solve some things? Make them worse? I don’t know.

3 Likes

There is nothing unsettling about asking someone wearing a White Power hat to leave your establishment if you disagree with White Power jackassery.

No one wearing a swastika armband, MAGA hat or “Blue Lives Matter” t-shirt can enter my home.

48 Likes

Yeah, about that… Some ideologies are toxic to society, humanity, and indeed life itself. Allowing people who hold such views to patronize your business will ultimately taint your business as a place that tolerates if not supports such cancerous views.
If the man came in wearing a Nazi hat and armband, would you feel the same way? If he donned a KKK hood and carried a rope, should we allow that? If he had on a T-Shirt saying “Kill all muslims” would that be OK? I ask those questions because those are just some of the regressive positions Trump and his supporters hold.

30 Likes

I knew it was a cult!

12 Likes

The bar owners have to take into account various things, like, “How likely is it that there will be a fight involving this guy, during which, other patrons could be injured, and sue the bar?”

15 Likes

I don’t see this as discrimination so much as keeping the peace. As others have mentioned, going to a social gathering place like a bar in articles of clothing known to be extremely controversial is simply a bad idea and bad for business. One person can affect the atmosphere of an entire room very easily, and wearing a MAGA hat is going to cause conflict in most places. If I was at a bar, and some guy walked up wearing one, I’d close my tab and leave asap before any punches got thrown.

22 Likes

Had to come back to say that we often have a knee-jerk reaction to discrimination. Discrimination is often discussed in relation to subjects like skin color, race, sexual preference, sex, gender, nationality, age, and ethnicity. As such, we tend to think of discrimination as a negative aspect of society. While it can be wielded by the worst parts of society, it can also be very much a force for good. When we fail to discriminate against that which is harmful, we fall in to Poppers paradox whereby failure to discriminate allows the proliferation of toxic and abusive ideologies throughout society. It is discrimination which allows us to reject the harmful and embrace the good.

29 Likes

Discrimination against political views might be legal, but it’s also unsettling.

Aside from being icky, I would not personally want to play into their pathetic victim narrative. I don’t want a white supremacist in my bar, either, but I’d just make a sign on the door: “Dress Code: No Red Hats,” maybe? And selectively enforce? I dunno. GA is open-carry legal for firearms in public but if an establishment puts the sign up then legally they can’t enter. I guess people could just take off the hat but then I guess that’s the point. “Thought-crime” isn’t a thing (and shouldn’t be.) The visible endorsement is the issue, I guess.

2 Likes

I’m amused by the assertion that being a Trump supporter is a religious issue. I would suggest this is true in the same sense that being an ISIS suicide bomber is a religious issue.

9 Likes

How about one featuring the “God given rights” of some group?

To that end, many bars I’ve frequented (and a few that I’ve worked at) had their unofficial ‘rule’ posted clearly:

"No religion, no politics."

And as many have pointed out, political affiliation is not a protected class, nor do I believe it should be.

It’s a personal choice, not an inherent trait over which one has no control.

26 Likes