Trump targets individual Twitter employee with threats, on Twitter

You don’t stop trying to correct information because the person who provided said misinformation isn’t listening to you. You do it for the lurkers (who vastly outnumber the posters) reading the discussions and are trying to make up their own minds.

I know that’s the “common wisdom” but I wonder if we don’t need to revisit what we think we know about this, as fundamental as it is. The left has been breathtakingly ineffective in its response to Trump and what he represents. I’m not sure why people keep pushing tactics and strategies that are failing so badly. Because they don’t know what else to do? Because defending the principle is more important than actually achieving things?

I partly agree with bb4me about how Trump works, but I think he’s not QUITE that shallow. I think he’s found intimidation, bullying and naked displays of power to be remarkably effective ways to get what he wants. He WANTS people to feel intimidated. He WANTS people to fear his wrath. It’s certainly personal but it’s also strategic IMHO.

So maybe the question shouldn’t be “how do we factually counter him for all the fence-sitters?” (are there even any of those with this guy?) but “How do we thwart the well-known and understood psychological goals of his communications?” Because I expect there are very different answers to those two questions. Dorsey’s tweet “wasn’t very effective against a professional trolley”… but what IS?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.