Trump calls U.S. Postal Service 'a joke,' threatens defunding if it won't raise Amazon's rate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/24/trump-threatens-usps-amazon.html

“The Postal Service is a joke,” said the President of the United States.

2 Likes

No surprise here. Trump needed a really big deflection after his performance last night.

21 Likes

No surprise, I know, but as usual, this is just a fabrication. The USPS charter demands they remain solvent, including when contracting for last-mile shipments.

26 Likes

President Tide Pod needs a fucking stamp

7 Likes

Can we box this virus of an idiot up and mail him to the sun?

Does USPS deliver to the sun?

If not, can we crowdfund to make that happen?

17 Likes

Trump doesn’t care who is hurting as long as someone is hurting and he’s the cause. He’s much like his followers in that way.

Bezos could give a fuck. They would just pass the cost on to the consumers.

17 Likes

Part of his grand plan to prevent us voting by mail in November. Fuck him.

17 Likes

Let’s not tempt the wrath of Helios. This year is already upside down and on fire.

10 Likes

“Defunding” isn’t even the right term for this threat since the Postal Service is self-funded (and remarkably efficient at fulfilling its mission). He’s threatening to withhold a LOAN, even though private corporations are basically getting free money from the Feds right now.

34 Likes

Well, that’s very much within his MO.

Withholding money from people he is obligated to pay. Businesses who furnish his resorts, building contractors, massive foreign banks, the Ukrainian government, the USPS.

What a bag of piss. I hope he gets corona and injects a quart of bleach.

24 Likes

Well how much the USPS should charge these companies is a complicated question, because of the large percentage of fixed costs that the USPS would still have to maintain whether they had these contracts or not. It may well be that the USPS is undercharging. Of course “complicated question,” means that there is NO WAY IN HELL mango shit for brains has done or could follow the kind of analysis required to figure that out. Rather his simplistic choo choo train of thought goes something like this: The Washington Post says mean things about me, Bezos owns the Washington Post, Bezos owns Amazon. Amazon seems satisfied with their agreement with the USPS. Any deal where the other guy is happy is one where I could have gotten more. I must hurt the post office enough that they agree to hurt Bezos.

17 Likes

Does he have any idea how many Americans rely on the postal service for their income? There is a huge population of people who mainly sell on ebay and amazon marketplace and discogs, as well as running their own websites. USPS is still the cheapest way to send stuff. If they have to switch to UPS or Fedex it will hurt their bottom line.

Anyone who voted Trump and uses the USPS for their business I think will finally get just how dumb he is, assuming he manages to kill the post office.

10 Likes

Anyone who uses the USPS and votes republican is a fucking moron in general.

12 Likes

So, like. . . pretty much all of them.

8 Likes

Yep. Voting republican if your net worth is less than about $10 million dollars is objectively stupid.

13 Likes

He just hates seeing something that works well, that can be used by anybody, for a ridiculously dirt-cheap universal fee. It grinds every stingy, poor-hating, capitalist gear he has.

13 Likes

There are so many things to be angry at the Orange Dumbfuck for, but this just absolutely sends me into a rage.

7 Likes

Well, if Trump & Pence insist on another human moon landing by 2024, then NASA can just pack them into a capsule and launch. A one-way trip, NASA. Please & thank you.

5 Likes

Make no mistake about this. It’s about Jeff Bezos saying something mean about Trump in the past.

9 Likes

Cuing up a Scooby Doo villain voice…“And I would have gotten away with it, had it not been for you darn libs… and the Constitution” (Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 a/k/a the Postal Powers clause).

5 Likes