Trump pledged that Amazon would be forced to pay its taxes; thanks to his #taxscam, their profits went up and their taxes stayed $0.00

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/22/prime-rate.html

2 Likes

20 Likes

Can anyone who knows some Trump supporters explain to me why they’re okay with this? A lot of them don’t even want to pay their own taxes, but they don’t get upset when faceless megacorps get special treatment?

9 Likes

In their defense, Amazon paid $75 for IRS Prime, so their taxes are free.

19 Likes

Why do people buy anything from Amazon? They’re the Facebook of shopping.

6 Likes

Sometimes you don’t even know you’re buying from them. Many a time I’ve bought something on eBay, only to see it arrive in an Amazon box with a gift receipt.

4 Likes

If Trump really wants to get money out of Bezos (which he really doesn’t), he could always marry and divorce him.

4 Likes

The years 2016-2020 in America should go down in history as The Big Grift.

9 Likes

Perhaps it’s either that they’re the ‘too dumb to get it’ Trump supporters or the ‘we get it but we’re evil too’ repugnicons, so there’d be no pressure from either of those… or, they all use Amazon and are scared the prices might go up if Amazon had to pay proportionate taxes.

Caveat: I do not know any Trump supporters.

5 Likes

Lucky you. I am extremely jealous. Not even being sarcastic. Do you need a roommate?

8 Likes

I assume I am on the other side of the Atlantic from you. Almost nobody knows any Trump supporters here! :wink:

(Well, there’s that arsehole Farage and his one-time pal Banks, but we try to ignore them.)

5 Likes

They hooked a lot of people on the convenience of getting hard to find items. Then they started undermining sellers and dealing in cheap merchandise. Now their customers have to worry about knock-offs.

2 Likes

Let me take a crack at this:

Let’s start with “taxation is theft.” This fun idea is promulgated by the likes of Koch-type “libertarians” and others who believe that there should not be any upper limit to wealth concentration.

This idea also overlaps with “taxes are a liberal thing:” “Liberals love taxes because they hate America and just want to give away my hard-earned money to underserving welfare queens. Therefore, any entity that can ‘stick it to the liberals’ is a hero in my book. I want to pay zero taxes too, just like muh President smartly does.”

Lastly, there is “I don’t care. MAGA!”

9 Likes

That was my first thought, but then shouldn’t they be upset with Trump because he promised to make Amazon pay in the first place? Like the audience for a TV psychic, they cheer for his “hits” and completely ignore his “misses”.

4 Likes

When the leader is beyond reproach, it’s a cult.

5 Likes

Ok yeah but for those of us who are willing to travel, and are considering a non-short-term stay in whatever is left of Britain, do you you still need a roommate, or know anyone who is seeking to add a roommate or two?

:wink:

Asking for a friend. And friends. Lots and lots (or loads and loads) of friends.

3 Likes

Apparently we’re going to have a points-based immigration system. Got any points?

3 Likes

Holy Toledo!

I have some homework to do. Living in a cardboard box in Wales (or Cornwall) is clearly not on this list at all!

3 Likes

Don’t pay too much attention to the actual rules. The Home Office doesn’t, and will shaft you just for the hell of it. Especially if you are already here. They are both the most unintentionally incompetent and at the same time intentionally perverse interpreters/ignorers of their own rules that it is possible to conceive of any govt department being.

4 Likes

:cold_sweat:

2 Likes