Trump vows to end January 6 investigations and pardon rioters

Originally published at: Trump vows to end January 6 investigations and pardon rioters - Boing Boing Trump vows to end January 6 investigations and pardon rioters

4 Likes

When will bad karma rid us of this odious troll?

23 Likes

As always, I’m sure the self-described “party of law and order” will immediately condemn him and not allow him to be their nominee. /s

16 Likes

Tired Over It GIF by Desus & Mero

13 Likes

I’m sure all those insurrectionists will find this promise of aid very comforting

12 Likes

Considering how faithfully Il Douche honors is promises…

18 Likes

14 Likes

Why can presidents pardon anybody? Other than a turkey at Thanksgiving, I mean. Seems to put the lie to “everybody’s equal under the law,” since most people can’t just say, “Let that guy go just because I said so,” and have it happen.

5 Likes

Article 2 Section 2 of the Constitution.

he shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment

3 Likes

But why would he want to pardon all those ANTIFA terrorist thugs?!
/s

14 Likes

Looks more accurate to me now.

12 Likes

It is the norm in most of the capitalist world that far right violence is essentially consequence free though. The police make sure it is so.

7 Likes

Sure, but I wasn’t really asking How so much as Why.

If there’s going to be pardon power granted to a president, maybe it should only be allowed on October 6 in election years where the current president is running again. Gives the public a chance to hear about and essentially ratify (or not) the pardons with their vote.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Trump proving once again how so many of our country’s laws are based on people doing things right.

Pardon power needs limits for just this reason. The President is not a king.

13 Likes

How is this not an offer of “aid or comfort” to insurrectionists (“enemies”) against the U.S.?

12 Likes

That’s the irony of all this. If, God forbid, il Duce wins the presidency he will stop investigations into his own misdeeds, then hang everyone else out to dry after a few mystical mumbles and maybe one or two token pardons. And all those whom he promised to pardon but did not, every last damned one, will continue to sing his praises and pledge their lives to the SOB while they remain in prison.

6 Likes

Already happened. GHW Bush pardoned everyone involved in Iran-Contra the minute his name came up.

6 Likes

I guess back then, this was still viewed as a feature, not a bug?

4 Likes

Treason doth never prosper, what’s the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it Treason

8 Likes