Trump wants armed federal agents at polling sites, DHS chief says NOPE

UN election monitors?

2 Likes

So he’s basically constructing a bunch of excuses for why he loses the election, if he does, so he can dispute it. “Mass mail-in election fraud!” “Much of it from hostile foreign powers!” “They wouldn’t let me guard the election sites and look what happened!”. And plenty of people will believe him, probably enough to take up arms. In other words, we’re doomed.

4 Likes

Some people might do that, yeah. But don’t worry about a coup or a rebellion; worry about some Trumpist loon shooting up a post office, or the local Democratic party HQ, or a Black church, or just going on a mindless rampage of violence. Which is bad enough.

No you aren’t.

12 Likes

Say that again, please.

I am not “doomed” because I am not just giving up.

Shit’s bad; that doesn’t mean that we just fucking quit before the fight is even over.

21 Likes

I hope you’re right! I live half time in San Francisco, where every single person I know thinks as you do. And I live half time in the country, where lots of people I know (definitely not all of them, but many) are fully willing to take up arms if they think there was any shinanigans with the election. And they’re prone to believe Trump’s conspiracy theories. So yes, we’re doomed. But I hope I’m wrong!

But I do think it’s important to understand what Trump is doing here: he’s giving his idiot base reason to revolt after the election.

2 Likes

Seeing Chad Wolf consider what he has the legal authority to do and not do is super adorbs. Considering that him even holding his job is technically illegal.

7 Likes

The Chad doesn’t want to further inflame public opinion against himself and his agency (mostly himself) given how they took it on the chin in Portland, and the revelation that he was illegally appointed. The ship is taking on water fast, and the Chad just wants to make sure he gets a life preserver.

7 Likes

I grew up in that type of area, and most of those folks are just loud mouthed assholes who, push comes to shove, would grumble and go home. Few of them are ever going to do any of the shit they say, they just like to talk big and tough to make themselves feel better.

Plus, I keep reminding them: conservatives are 0-2 in actual wars against the United States or its formation, not even counting 200 years of civil rights uprisings conservatives tried to squash and couldn’t stop. Feel free to make it 0-3.

9 Likes

Also, most people – even venal, corrupt scumbags – have their limits to what they will do, or condone. It’s entirely possible that Wolf genuinely thinks this is a step too far. That the right thing to do, in this case, is also the prudent thing to do, doesn’t hurt, of course.

3 Likes

It’s a fair point and you’re right. I just refuse to give The Chad that much credit.

Note: Please see all media guidelines for using the correct distinguishing forms of address. The Chad, or the Chad are acceptable. Chad may be used without “the” in more informal writing.

(Seriously though, could there be a name more perfect for who this douche canoe is? Chad Wolf… it’s a fucking cartoon at the top these days).

10 Likes

It is an implausible name, yeah, and lends credence to the argument that we’re in a simulation that’s gone off the rails or is scripted by total hacks. See also: Tommy Tuberville.

4 Likes

Every time I hear that name I think of Tubby the Tuba. How I loved that cartoon as a child.

2 Likes

Someone in the Trump administration is smart enough to know that he doesn’t want to face voter intimidation prosecution when Trump looses.

11 Likes

Way too easy to go down that path. If we give up the fascists win. Period. I am not gonna let that happen by my inaction. I will do whatever I can locally to get people to the polls.

7 Likes

The UN no longer monitors elections.

The OSCE (Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe) does. The OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) has send Observers to the mid-term Congressional Elections, 6 November 2018 and probably will send observers to the general General Election 3 November 2020.

5 Likes

Because in the USA for some part of the population a cop is seen as a danger.
We make voting using the old method of paper ballots in big boxes and because the preparation and the voting count is going to span three or four daus it’s important that nobody breaks in unnocided and messes with the ballot, or that during the vote only people that are voting in the ballot section enters in the voting room.

3 Likes

Sure, we’ll drag protestors into unmarked vans, but we have to draw the line somewhere…

2 Likes

He doesn’t want to end up in prison.
Either President Biden would toss him there for doing it or Presidente Trump will toss him in there to shut him up.

2 Likes

Vote for Trump! Make Russia Great Again!

2 Likes

His desperation is starting to fuel some fascinating creativity, don’t you think?

1 Like